AUG 12 UPDATE – PRIVATE MESSAGING AND PERMISSIONS

Topic by Keymaster

Keymaster

Home Forums MGTOW Central AUG 12 UPDATE – PRIVATE MESSAGING AND PERMISSIONS

This topic contains 35 replies, has 17 voices, and was last updated by Swimcat  Swimcat 1 month ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 36 total)
  • Author
    +8
    Keymaster
    Keymaster
    Keymaster

Hello and good morning gents,

Broadcast notices have been fixed. Logged in member should be able to see notices and click the “X” to remove it once it has been read. This is a convenient way for us to inform you of any changes, announcements or bits of news.

Private Messaging is updated, improved, new and working. We have also increased the character limit for each PM from 200 to 1000.

• Basic/New members should not be able to initiate a PM.
    • Basic/New members CAN read and respond for a quick exchange – 3 messages a day.

^ we’re still working on this part for all member roles, so if you encounter an unexpected restriction, you can post below. As an admin, I can test override logging in as you to see what you see. If you can’t see your PMs yet, don’t worry, we still have some work to do on it.

Account/settings is updated, and improved. In the previous version, the preference to show/hide your “online now” status may not have been working. But now you can choose to show/hide your avatar to be visible to other logged in members (only). You can also choose whether or not you would like to receive private messages – and from whom.

( i.e “allow only those who I follow to private message me”. )

“Following” is not like on most social platforms. It’s a way to give someone permission to see your profile and/or read your forums participation. It’s pretty intuitive.

• GHOST & GALT members have the ability to make their profile private ( to new members )

• The profile page usually shows what role you have, and your forums participation capabilities.
    ie. “Display Name | Community Role | Forums Role”

This is off for the moment because displaying it requires a few changes on our end.
    I’ll make sure this will display on the profile page by end of day tomorrow. (STILL NEEDS ADJUSTMENTS)

The underlying guts of the site has been updated and made significantly more efficient. You’ll notice it will load & perform faster and behave much better on mobile. It looks rather skeletal right now. At the moment, we’re working on bringing back “the last 15 topics and replies” on the forums page. This won’t be “perfect” tonight, but it will do until tomorrow. Give us about an hour.

The homepage now shows all the latest aggregated tweets with the hashtag #MGTOW as well as the latest tweets by MGTOW.COM. It’s updated every 10 minutes. Currently load testing to see how heavy it is.

Thank you.

If you keep doing what you've always done... you're gonna keep getting what you always got.
    +5
    Duke Togo
    Duke Togo
    Participant

All your hard work is appreciated Keymaster. I was happy with the site when I first started lurking, but you have taken it a long way and it is looking even more polished than ever. I have not seen another forum with the amount of work put into like you have. Thank you again.

+4
    Keymaster
    Keymaster
    Keymaster

Very kind of you Duke. Very big thanks, and I’m pleased to see so many have returned so quickly. You make it all worthwhile.

Please excuse the appearance of the forums at the moment.
    Have an excellent weekend.

If you keep doing what you've always done... you're gonna keep getting what you always got.
    +2
    JustAnotherGuy
    JustAnotherGuy
    Participant

I’m running on a Samsung Note 8. Looks pretty good. One thing I’ve noticed, incredibly minor, is that the avatar thumbnail at the beginning of a user post slightly overlaps the user name. The user name is also in a really narrow div. Maybe add it to a list somewhere to add some left padding to the user name and give it the no-wrap CSS property.

Cupcakes are Cold. MGTOW is Absolute Zero.
    “Let us wait a little; when your enemy is executing a false movement, never interrupt him” –Napoleon Bonaparte, 1805

+1
    Keymaster
    Keymaster
    Keymaster

I’m running on a Samsung Note 8. Looks pretty good. One thing I’ve noticed, incredibly minor, is that the avatar thumbnail at the beginning of a user post slightly overlaps the user name. The user name is also in a really narrow div. Maybe add it to a list somewhere to add some left padding to the user name and give it the no-wrap CSS property.

Roger that.

Out of the box, the forums look like crap, and avatars are 16px. Styling the forums is extremely limiting and its never been done to my satisfaction. So we’ve done it top to bottom over again. You just can’t see it yet. Have also added some “dashboard” style themes which look very slick – on interchangable backgrounds for anyone tired of “white”.

On mobile, the left column (with the name and avatar) will get special declarations to take care of the wonky display anomaly.

Thanks very much!

+4
    Blade
    blade
    Participant

I can answer threads but i cant make a thread . Probably temporary but thought i would let ya know .

Thanks for getting the site back up km .

THE PLANTATION HAS NOW TURNED INTO THE KILLING FIELDS . WOMAN ARE NOW ROLLING CAMBODIAN STYLE .

+3
    JVB
    JVB
    Participant

Cheers KM. Blade you magnificent bastard. Good to see ya.

Peace is > piece.

+5
    505vikingo
    505vikingo
    Participant

Keymaster,

Thank you for all that you do. You are a good man.

+3
    Faust For Science
    Faust For Science
    Participant

Nice changes. Though, I would suggest changing the search pop up window to have a color background that is not neon blue. That color does not go with the rest of the aesthetic you seem to be going for the website.

+3
    Autolite
    Autolite
    Participant

The ‘new look’ is absolutely fantastic! Many thanks KM for your efforts…

+3
    Will Robinson
    Will Robinson
    Participant

Had to reset my password but login is working again now. Great work KM. Hope you managed to enjoy at least some of your weekend.

May you walk in peace and happiness, May you and all mgtow, near and far walk in peace and happiness.

+4
    Keymaster
    Keymaster
    Keymaster

I can answer threads but i cant make a thread . Probably temporary but thought i would let ya know .

Appreciate the heads up on that! Glad you mentioned.

Anyone else…. if you’re a participant who can reply – but you can’t create a topic for some reason – we’ll take care of it later this afternoon.

Nice changes. Though, I would suggest changing the search pop up window to have a color background that is not neon blue. That color does not go with the rest of the aesthetic you seem to be going for the website.

Yes, you’re seeing a white/black/grey/blue barebones new site which we’re applying in pieces. Buttons etc. are very generic too. Unconcerned with look at the moment, entire sections are empty and you’re seeing about 5% of it now…. but when it all comes together, it will have a nice atmosphere.

The ‘new look’ is absolutely fantastic! Many thanks KM for your efforts…

If you like it now, I’m very happy to hear it.

Had to reset my password but login is working again now. Great work KM.

When I noticed you logged in, I smiled. Terrific to see you.

Hope you managed to enjoy at least some of your weekend.

What is a “weekend”?

( winks )

+2
    Faust For Science
    Faust For Science
    Participant

Yes, you’re seeing a white/black/grey/blue barebones new site which we’re applying in pieces. Buttons etc. are very generic too. Unconcerned with look at the moment, entire sections are empty and you’re seeing about 5% of it now…. but when it all comes together, it will have a nice atmosphere.

Thank you for explaining that.

That is a good idea. Peacemeal each change so if there is a problem you know exactly what change is causing the problem. But, the blue text and background does not go great with the light yellow, light grayish white, black color tones.

But, it is your website. I respect whatever you do with the website.

+2
    Keymaster
    Keymaster
    Keymaster

I like to think of it as your website.
    So I respect your input on it.

Overall it’s important to look like a men’s interest website. Maybe touches of metal, wood, bronze. Right now, it’s very plain but it will warm up. We even have a theme switcher where you can radically change the forums with a single click to back-lit translucent & light text on interchangeable backgrounds. Been wanting to do it forever. So we finally did.

And then EVERYONE will like it!

+2
    MoreSky
    MoreSky
    Participant

Good work KM.

Not sure if this is part of the process but my username as shown on the “My Account” page has reverted to a previously used email address.
    I did login using my current email address, so it is still recognised.

"...reinvent your life because you must; it is your life and its history and the present belong only to you.” It is Your Life, Charles Bukowski.

+2
    Keymaster
    Keymaster
    Keymaster

Not sure if this is part of the process but my username as shown on the “My Account” page has reverted to a previously used email address. I did login using my current email address, so it is still recognised.

Hmmm.. ok let me clarify first, and then you can elaborate so I understand you better….

On the account/settings page there is an option to “change your email”.
    When you first joined, you used ( let’s call it ) EMAIL #1.

EMAIL #1 is what you first use to LOGIN.
    Thats the unique identifier for every member.
    It also can never change — unless we do it for you manually.

(that’s why it’s greyed out.
    You can change your display name anytime you like, but logins never change.)

At the same time when you join, the “user email” is set the same as your login.
    But you have the ability to change it to something else – without changing your original login.

So if you want them BOTH to be the same, just request it and I will take care of it. If the login is going to change, we have to agree on a time to do it. Because you’ll be booted off the site and will need to login in again.

I hope I didn’t confuse the s~~~ out of you.

I have made a note of this, and currently the contact page is off until this evening, but I can reach out you (or vice versa) and you can just say “Hi this is MoreSky. Please change my login to this new email @ address whatever”.

+2
    MoreSky
    MoreSky
    Participant

Thanks for the clarification KM.

The email (Email#1) I used at signup is the one that is shown as the “username”.
    I later requested a change to the email (Email#2), which you did, and that is now used for login and notifications.

If Email#1 is used as the unique identifier and is immutable then I understand why my username is being shown as such.

As Email#1 is only visible to you (and the DB) as a unique identifier I have no problems leaving as-is, if I can continue to use Email#2 for login and notifications.

"...reinvent your life because you must; it is your life and its history and the present belong only to you.” It is Your Life, Charles Bukowski.

+3
    Faust For Science
    Faust For Science
    Participant

I like to think of it as your website.
    So I respect your input on it.

Overall it’s important to look like a men’s interest website. Maybe touches of metal, wood, bronze. Right now, it’s very plain but it will warm up. We even have a theme switcher where you can radically change the forums with a single click to back-lit translucent & light text on interchangeable backgrounds. Been wanting to do it forever. So we finally did.

And then EVERYONE will like it!

From what I have seen, men in many cultures prefer earth tones, light to dark browns, as being relaxing colors.

+2
    BrainPilot
    BrainPilot
    Participant

Good to see the site back up and functioning as intended. I was fortunate to have been one of the members who never had a problem logging in. But it was very strange to log on and find myself wondering the site as the only member on it. I read through the explanation on the other thread, but I am a bit of a tech-retard so most of it was over my head. From the explanation, I realize now that the reason I could still log on was because my browser remembers my usernames and passwords, and autofills them when the page comes on screen so I can’t mis-type them. I suspect that ability was designed into the software for tech-retards like me, to cut down on operator errors. I would have mentioned this way sooner if I had had any clue what the problem was, and what I had done to avoid it for myself.

The only issue I ever had with the site was that when I made a comment on a post, and I checked that box at the bottom to get email updates of successive comments from other members posting after me on the same thread, it didn’t seem to work. Or, more accurately, it worked for a while and then stopped working. I checked spam folder assuming my email might have been directing it there, but no luck.

KM, if that’s possible to fix, please do. But don’t let it distract you from any of the other more important issues you are working on now for the rest of the site. Not having the followup email notifications makes it a little more challenging to follow a thread, but not impossible.

In any case, thanks for creating and maintaining the site.

Look, it's not my fault that tornado dropped a house on your sister. Now get back on your broom and get your ass out of here... and take your monkeys with you

Keymaster
    Keymaster
    Keymaster

As Email#1 is only visible to you (and the DB) as a unique identifier I have no problems leaving as-is, if I can continue to use Email#2 for login and notifications.

I’ll change your login to your EMAIL#2 so they are both the same.
    But if you’re telling me EMAIL#2 is allowing you to log in as well, then it really doesn’t matter.
    As long as it’s working for you now, that’s what matters.

The only issue I ever had with the site was that when I made a comment on a post, and I checked that box at the bottom to get email updates of successive comments from other members posting after me on the same thread, it didn’t seem to work.

OK that’s helpful. I’ll make a test thread and respond to myself (as another test user) and see what’s what.
    I wont have time to do this until tomorrow.

Live notifications and web notifications are next.
    As well as the “bell” in the lower left corner which alerts to PMS you may have received.

We need to make sure everything with PM and permissions is tight first.
    And then we’ll attack notifications next.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 36 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.