AUG 9 UPDATE – IMPORTANT SOLUTION TO LOGIN PROBS

Topic by Keymaster

Keymaster

Home Forums MGTOW Central AUG 9 UPDATE – IMPORTANT SOLUTION TO LOGIN PROBS

This topic contains 86 replies, has 45 voices, and was last updated by Varun  Varun 5 months ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 87 total)
  • Author
    +19
    +10
    Keymaster
    Keymaster
    Keymaster

WHAT THE PROBLEM WAS

I was able to finally see the strange WordPress page asking to “select a new strong password”. This page was interrupting the process and confusing many, but until now, we have never experienced this ourselves in any of our tests. Some members were very concerned that this page was a security concern ( a website “spoof” of some kind ) , but it wasn’t.

One script was simply conflicting with another and creating a sort of “infinite loop” – kicking them out of the process – where the newly selected password was not sticking.

Dreadfully sorry. Can imagine this was a infuriating problem.

There was also a password reset limit in place, where you can reset your password 5 times only. This restriction is now lifted as well. You can request a password reset as often as you want.

If you keep doing what you've always done... you're gonna keep getting what you always got.
    +7
    Keymaster
    Keymaster
    Keymaster

In your own best interest, if you need to reset your password from the outside, you wont be forced to choose a crazy password anymore, but you should choose a strong password anyway.

NEXT

We have recently applied a major update to member features. This update “broke” a few things – like private messaging , the “broadcast notices” which appear in the corner when we need to make an announcement, the “link” button in the forums, the account/settings page and a couple of minor items. We are fixing these now. They are the result of JQUERY (javascript) conflicts related to the newest version of the website.

We will need to pause the forums for about an hour (or three?) either this evening or tomorrow so that no posts are created while we are working. Once these items are in place, we can start to push the new website online. The “broadcast notices” are most important to fix so that we can update you periodically and give little warnings while we are working.

Thanks very much.

EDIT: The login page now also had a notice to any members who have had trouble. Although we can still manually regenerate a new password and email it to one-at-a-time, we really don’t want to do this without your knowledge – and it’s not really a solution. It’s far more important to solve the issue globally for everyone.

If you keep doing what you've always done... you're gonna keep getting what you always got.
    +6
    Boar
    Boar
    Participant

The “broadcast notices” are most important to fix so that we can update you periodically and give little warnings while we are working.

Good luck and Godspeed!

Untamed wrote: Quit complaining and Go Your Own Way in whatever manner suits you best.

+7
    Keymaster
    Keymaster
    Keymaster

Thanks very much Boar. If you were one of those who experienced problems logging in, please accept our apologies. We had no idea what the hell was causing it.

To verify again… I have just gone through the entire reset process again (with the test account ) and it works perfectly now.

PHEW.

+3
    Russky
    Russky
    Participant

I’m glad that things finally get resolved. What I fail to understand, is how these problems took such a long time to get noticed and resolved. Any comment, KM?

proud carrier of the 'why?' chromosome

+3
    Joey Alfio
    Joey Alfio
    Participant

And after this update we can finally change our passwords and email address? And what about access for new members is that still on lock down or will that finally be lifted?

Vitam impendere vero.

+6
    Boar
    Boar
    Participant

It was frustrating but bearable: there is no stopping the Red Pill.

I believe the problem has been resolved as I had the exact issues described above.

Can you do an email blast to let folks know?

Untamed wrote: Quit complaining and Go Your Own Way in whatever manner suits you best.

+5
    Dave C
    Dave C
    Participant

I’m back baby!!!!! It worked! Feels like I’ve been locked out for a month…can’t tell you how many times I tried to reset and log in in the past few weeks.

+1
    Joey Alfio
    Joey Alfio
    Participant

I’m back baby!!!!! It worked! Feels like I’ve been locked out for a month…can’t tell you how many times I tried to reset and log in in the past few weeks.

A lot of people like myself couldn’t get in unless you sent a request to someone who could which KM would then send you a new password rather than the one wordpress provided.

Vitam impendere vero.

+6
    Keymaster
    Keymaster
    Keymaster

I’m glad that things finally get resolved. What I fail to understand, is how these problems took such a long time to get noticed and resolved. Any comment, KM?

Certainly.

The member system got a MAJOR upheaval a few months ago. A big jump from version 1 to version 2. We can’t apply it easily because it jumbles around “WordPress roles”. (Subscriber / Participant / Spectator / Editor etc….. + our custom roles “Ghost” and “Galt” and “Basic / New Member”. )

Every page on the new website has been re-written to hook into these “roles”. For example, if you’re a Ghost and/or Galt member, you will be able to add terms to the glossary and videos to the website by way of submissions. This requires special “permissions” for each role.

We created a clone of MGTOW.COM at MGTOW.VIP — an actual development location for mgtow.com where we can test the website live behind a password protected “wall” without search engines noticing it.

We have 32K members.
    Each of them are assigned to “roles”.
    One f~~~up when performing this upgrade, and we’re screwed.

You can begin to see the magnitude and implications of this.

The security features we have in place were “forcing strong passwords” independently of the member settings. Finding the exact setting and conflict is like finding a bottle in the Atlantic. Together with technicians we found it… but that’s not all. All this needs to be done in a particular order.

The member/database upgrade on AUG 2 threw some things out of whack.
    They are fixable but the new website uses JQUERY 3+.
    The current website uses JQUERY 1.11. (old and outdated)
    The new account page will not work with JQUERY 1.11.
    The broadcast notices will not work with JQUERY 1.11.
    The test website is all new with the latest of everything.
    But we can’t push it all at once, because of existing dependencies.

It’s not nearly as simple as pushing all the new website files, because the existing database (and member roles) are “old”. The job is MASSIVE.

Also…. we are committed to some very serious projects unrelated to mgtow.com – especially since Feb-March. These are obligations we can’t get away from (are veryhigh-level) and have taken first priority over MGTOW.COM. One of these projects is currently “paused” and other people are handling it….. so I have time to devote 100% of my attention to mgtow.com right now.

+6
    Eskimospy
    Eskimospy
    Participant

I’m back on. Thank you Keymaster for clearing up on what the issue was. Hopefully everyone can now log in.

+3
    Russky
    Russky
    Participant

KM, thanks for the response.
    In the hindsight – was this upgrade really worth the hassle?
    That’s a lot of work, and for what?
    I’m afraid we’ve lost a lot of regulars in the process

+5
    Bub
    Bub
    Participant

Back in. Didn’t reset password, old one was still valid.
    Good to be back…..

Just rolling down the road

+5
    Keymaster
    Keymaster
    Keymaster

I’m back on.

Outstanding and thank you for letting us know.

Thank you Keymaster for clearing up on what the issue was

Thank you for not being eternally sore at us.

I’m back baby!!!!! It worked!

Can’t tell you how happy I am to hear that. Been looking forward to anyone saying the problem is fixed.

Can you do an email blast to let folks know?

Will blast the s~~~ out of the internet when it’s all sorted and the new site is pushed.

A lot of people like myself couldn’t get in unless you sent a request to someone who could which KM would then send you a new password rather than the one wordpress provided.

Same thing with MAnipualtedMan earlier today. I helped him manually and he could log in fine. We can’t retrieve passwords or ever know them, but we CAN generate a new password and send it. But it’s still not a solution. It needed to be solved GLOBALLY for everyone. That was priority one… and then at least forums participation can continue.

+5
    Keymaster
    Keymaster
    Keymaster

And after this update we can finally change our passwords and email address?

YES. The new account page has new additions.

• Can change password from the INSIDE (when logged in)
    • Can change delivery email
    • Enhanced privacy settings (like hide/show “online now”)
    • Can self-delete your own account.

Many members became so frustrated with the login issues , they wanted to delete their own accounts. Frankly, I can’t blame them. Handling this individually is not a solution. Better to make it global for everyone.

But self-delete is not reversable.

So if they choose this option, it will be permanent. But if they change their mind and wish to return, they should have the ability to join again… and joining is currently off to deter spammers and trolls from taking away from our production in the mean time.

+6
    Keymaster
    Keymaster
    Keymaster

And what about access for new members is that still on lock down or will that finally be lifted?

Joining will return once the account/settings page is up, broadcast notices is fixed and private messaging is working again. We will probably open it up again when the site is confirmed “ready”.

+5
    Keymaster
    Keymaster
    Keymaster

KM, thanks for the response.
    In the hindsight – was this upgrade really worth the hassle?

YES.

NECESSARY to push the new website. Impossible otherwise.

That’s a lot of work, and for what?

You’ll see. Yes, it will be WAY worth it when done.

I’m afraid we’ve lost a lot of regulars in the process

They’ll be back. And in greater numbers.

+4
    Keymaster
    Keymaster
    Keymaster

Back in. Didn’t reset password, old one was still valid.
    Good to be back…..

GREAT.

But we are aware this didn’t affect everyone.
    Many said they never had a single problem!!

We were confused by the statement “I can’t log in”.
    That’s a very different problem than “I can’t reset my password”.

When regenerating a password for someone manually, everyone who got a new password could log in – no problem! So we realized there is really nothing wroth with the login page. It was the password reset process which was f~~~ing everything up. Members were saying “I can’t log in” so we were chasing the wrong ghost!

Then we created some new test accounts (at different levels) and went through the ENTIRE PROCESS a f~~~-hundred times until we finally saw what they were talking about. Only then could we solve it..

+3
    Russky
    Russky
    Participant

KM, so why some people like me didn’t get affected? Was it because my password was super-strong to begin with?

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 87 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.