Captain Marvel is predictably unpopular…

Topic by Beer

Beer

Home Forums MGTOW Central Captain Marvel is predictably unpopular…

This topic contains 29 replies, has 19 voices, and was last updated by Clu  Clu 5 months, 4 weeks ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 21 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    +2
    Ranger One
    Ranger One
    Participant

True to my word, I went with the girlfriend and my son to go see “Alita: Battle Angel” instead of seeing “Captain Marvel”.

All my life I've had doubts about who I am, where I belonged. Now I'm like the arrow that springs from the bow. No hesitation, no doubts. The path is clear. And what are you? Alive. Everything else is negotiable. Women have rights; men have responsibilities; MGTOW have freedom. Marriage is for chumps. If someone stands in the way of true justice, you simply walk up behind them and stab them in the heart-R'as al Ghul.

+1
    Narwhal
    narwhal
    Participant

The problem is that eventually the people at the movie industry realized that they could push insidious concept and do social engineering on the zombified movie goers. We did suspend our disbelief, thus accept every dumb idea they push us through the screen.

I think your somewhat falling into the trap that people are this easily manipulated. I would agree that those in Hollywood who produce these movie think they are changing peoples outlook, and pat themselves on the back for it, but are they really that effective?

Look at it another way, does a boy who spends a ton of time playing violent video games believe he can no go out and act like these characters in the real world? We already know that’s not true. Like wise, people are not going to watch this and think it’s possible for a woman to shoot bolts from their hands. Will they think women are better than men? I’d argue only those who believe that to be the case before they walked into the theatre.

I agree that repeated a lie over and over again makes it seem more like the truth, but witnessing reality also breaks that lie.

What I think is interesting about this is that the media seems to believe that ticket sales = how well the audience likes a movie and whatever message it sends. In the case of Captain Marvel, it’s abundantly clear that the movie wouldn’t get anywhere near the audience if it wasn’t released at the right time, being part of the MCU, getting a huge marketing budget, etc. It has very little to stand on for it’s own merit.

I personally thought the movie’s biggest problem wasn’t a SJW undertone, or bad acting, but a poor story and directing. I could not empathize with the main character since she never really faced a conflict. There was no really threat where there is any doubt that she would not overcome. There was no moment were you felt for her loss, or where you saw any real character growth. In it’s attempt to not be formulaic, it totally missed essentials. It introduced the character, but did nothing more really.

I think the character can be redeemed, but it was not a good introduction to her. I’ve heard rumors that the lack of a weakness for the character was intentional, and that her weakness will be revealed in Endgame. I hope that’s rumor is true, since it would make the character more likable. More importantly, it implies that she isn’t going to just save the day, steal the show….ruin the show.

Ok. Then do it.

Beer
    Beer
    Participant

What I think is interesting about this is that the media seems to believe that ticket sales = how well the audience likes a movie and whatever message it sends.

They tried to rig this as well. When all the other Marvel movies were released there was a gap in release date between various markets. Basically it was released in the United States about a month prior to it being released in Asia and Europe. Captain Marvel released everywhere at the same time. What does the libtard media say? “Captain Marvel had one of the best opening weekends for any of the MCU movies…BEST MOVIE EVER!” Yeah clearly opening to the entire market at once had nothing to do with that…

It made about 750m so far with a break even of about 750m, so this movie itself will end up turning some profit…but it will be interesting to see if it has a “The Last Jedi” effect on the franchise. TLJ itself didn’t do bad, but it did worse than its predecessor and as evident by Solo bombing, obviously killed a lot of interest in the Star Wars franchise. No way is Captain Marvel going to cause End Game to tank, and the media will be very vocal about End Game doing well thanks in part to Captain Marvel, not in spite of Captain Marvel.

I think it will be entertaining to watch the implosion after End Game. I’m not seeing the franchise maintaining the interest it has so far. They are already hyping the first Marvel Asian super hero who will take lead in a movie. Start the MCU off with straight white men to make the franchise great…then turn it into an affirmative action saga with anything but straight white men…let’s see how this plays out. I don’t care if they have female heroes or non-white heroes, I’m just not going to patronize such movies who market as such. If they marketed Captain Marvel as Captain Marvel, and not as girl power f~~~ all you straight white men, I’d have gone to see it.

Narwhal
    narwhal
    Participant

No way is Captain Marvel going to cause End Game to tank, and the media will be very vocal about End Game doing well thanks in part to Captain Marvel, not in spite of Captain Marvel.

Agreed. There is no way that Captain Marvel helped Endgame in anyway.

I think it will be entertaining to watch the implosion after End Game. I’m not seeing the franchise maintaining the interest it has so far.

The first test is going to be Spiderman this summer. but we won’t see a real test till they try and do another Avengers movie.

They really need to take it in a different direction. Move away from the world or universe impacting story lines and do some things at the ‘street level’. You’re just not going to be able to top this.

The biggest mistake the MCU could do right now is kill off Iron Man, Captain America, and Thor, or basically retired them, and then put Captain Marvel as the lead. It will fail, absolutely, as she has not come anywhere near to earning that. That will definitely be an implosion.

They are already hyping the first Marvel Asian super hero who will take lead in a movie.

Haven’t heard this, but wouldn’t have a problem with it as long as it’s done well. I don’t really think people care too much about the race or gender of the hero, as long as it’s done right.

Ok. Then do it.

Ranger One
    Ranger One
    Participant

Haven’t heard this, but wouldn’t have a problem with it as long as it’s done well. I don’t really think people care too much about the race or gender of the hero, as long as it’s done right.

I don’t care. I really wanted to like Rey… but SJW-style Marie Sue writing sucks… they have s~~~ty written character so they take good established characters and s~~~ on them to make their new characters look good by comparison.

I liked Alita: Battle Angel. I liked the lead character. And she was plenty of bad ass. And they showed clips of her past, when she trained to be good.

A whole host of badass female characters I liked: Ripley, Leia, Sarah Connor, Black Widow from Avengers.

All my life I've had doubts about who I am, where I belonged. Now I'm like the arrow that springs from the bow. No hesitation, no doubts. The path is clear. And what are you? Alive. Everything else is negotiable. Women have rights; men have responsibilities; MGTOW have freedom. Marriage is for chumps. If someone stands in the way of true justice, you simply walk up behind them and stab them in the heart-R'as al Ghul.

SpiderHerder
    SpiderHerder
    Participant

A whole host of badass female characters I liked: Ripley, Leia, Sarah Connor, Black Widow from Avengers.

Beatrix Kiddo. lol

+1
    Ranger One
    Ranger One
    Participant

Beatrix Kiddo

F~~~ yeah! Forgot her!

After that bloody scene in black and white, I should have remember her… introduced to Kill Bill by my son last year.

+1
    Beer
    Beer
    Participant

I don’t care so much about the race or gender of the main character so long as its a good movie…but it bothers me when they hype a movie based upon the race or gender of the lead more so than they hype it just because its going to be an awesome movie.

Marvel’s First Asian-Led Superhero Movie, ‘Shang-Chi,’ Finds Director

I saw a ton of headlines like this recently and its just a turn off. I grew up watching Jet Li and Jackie Chan movies…I don’t ever recall them marketing movies as having an Asian lead…they just made entertaining movies and the fact they were Asian really didn’t matter. I’ve watched more than my fair share of sub titled Asian movies on Netflix, I’m a huge fan of martial arts movies…but if Disney wants to hype their s~~~ like this screw them, there are plenty of good movies coming out of Korea, Japan, and China with Asian leads and without having to throw in my face they have Asian leads.

Just imagine the backlash there would be if a company made a movie and overtly advertised “straight white male lead” in no uncertain terms like they do for other groups. Again I don’t care so much what race/gender the lead is, I’m just so sick of the identity politics and I’m not going to patronize movies that want to throw double standards in my face.

Beer
    Beer
    Participant

I don’t care. I really wanted to like Rey… but SJW-style Marie Sue writing sucks… they have s~~~ty written character so they take good established characters and s~~~ on them to make their new characters look good by comparison.

Definitely. TLJ was a giant pile of crap, and it would have been even if Rey was Ray…a straight white guy. Even if you completely disregard the SJW Marie-Sue style…plot wise considering the series is set to be a trilogy, they just did a terrible job leaving loose ends to keep you interested in whats to come.

They already s~~~ all over and/or killed off all the legacy characters, killed off Snoke, and we already know Rey is significantly better than Kylo…what am I supposed to be excited about…just going to watch Rey predictably one up Kylo again?

Its kind of strange…when the prequels were in the theaters I was super excited to see those even though I knew the eventual outcome. What Star Wars fans weren’t looking forward to scenes like Yoda with a light saber or the inevitable Obi Wan/Anakin showdown even though we knew how it would end? Having interesting characters and knowing it lead to more cool s~~~ really goes a long way…TLJ just failed hard in that department.

Clu
    Clu
    Participant

I think your somewhat falling into the trap that people are this easily manipulated. I would agree that those in Hollywood who produce these movie think they are changing peoples outlook, and pat themselves on the back for it, but are they really that effective?

Let me put it this way, if you are born a Muslim and grow up in a very religious surroundings, you will probably be religious Muslim.
    If you are born into a Christian influence, you will probably be a Christian.

But when you see TV most of your time when growing up, when you spend your remaining time in kindergarten, school, and other state sponsored activities, then what are your influences?

We are a learning machine. We absorb knowledge by what we see, ear and feel. A movie is a superlative version of reality, thus more memorable than reality itself. If you are not consciously filtering the meaning of what you see, then what are you absorbing?

Notice sentences like “I need space”, and how they are now used worldwide. Why?

Globalisation is not only a trade thing, but a culture thing. And how did that culture spread if not by audiovisual means?

And that has no influence?

Look at it another way, does a boy who spends a ton of time playing violent video games believe he can no go out and act like these characters in the real world?

Its interesting that you say that because it is real. Not that we play these characters, but that the games redefine our reality.
    A game is context related. If we have a war game, them people define the reality of WAR in their mind from the game. That is why many US soldiers now use music in action. They need a soundtrack…

Greetings, programs!

Viewing 10 posts - 21 through 30 (of 30 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.