Computer Jobs

Topic by ResidentEvil7

ResidentEvil7

Home Forums Computers, Games and Technology Computer Jobs

This topic contains 14 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by SpiderHerder  SpiderHerder 9 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    +2
    ResidentEvil7
    ResidentEvil7
    Participant

I’m sick of the job market not giving me a break, but then again, the market is down since the viral outbreak, so job searching and keep getting nothing is of no urgent, but I want to talk about computer or tech jobs. Does anyone on this site do any kind of tech job either in software or anything related to computers? If so, please tell me the story about it, because I want to know about it and how to get myself into a position.

I learned on a video that you don’t need a computer science degree to get a job in software; you can be self-taught.

I figure I learn technology, develop it at home on my computer and whatever I make, I sell it online as downloads, or get a job at any of the factories that are in walking distance from my house. We have a place where I live where I can learn coding online courses for free. I already took classes in both PC Repair and Customer Service and those classes were not difficult.

I like to do things in:
    Software developer, or engineer
    Computer repair, custom build (I have personal experience)
    Web Design (I have personal experience)

I really should freshen up my PC skills, because they are so XP and Windows 7 era compatible.

I am partially mentally disabled and the jobs that I do apply for (which would suck) like bagger at a grocery store, cart attendant at Target, or cashier at Best Buy. They all reject my application if I’m lucky to get an interview, because my communication skills aren’t that good and things don’t always appear normal to me, or I have a different perspective on what is considered normal. Trouble is, I have to have low standards to get a job, when I’m trying to do better, especially at my age.

I also saw a video 3 months ago about how to get a computer job without a degree, but it requires experience (there’s that dreadful word).

Trump Republican For Life - Make America Great Again

+2
    ResidentEvil7
    ResidentEvil7
    Participant

Some of the FREE online courses I want to take and learn from are as follows:

Basic electronics
    Dreamweaver 101
    How To EBay
    Starting your own home-based business
    How To Start and Run An Online Business
    SEO Copywriting
    HTML5
    JQuery Programming
    Introduction to Java Script
    Introduction To CSS
    Computer Literacy 1 – computer basics
    Computer Literacy 2 – Internet basics
    Computer Literacy 3 – Living And Working Online
    Windows 10
    Windows 7
    Interviewing Skills
    Mastering Sales Skills 101

Since I’m cooped up in the house, I have time to do them.

+4
    FrankOne
    FrankOne
    Participant

There are plenty of jobs. You are young. Start doing delivery of groceries during Corona panic. Or warehouse. First step is to become full-time employed. Stop blaming the job market. Tell them you will work for minimum wage and just want a chance. Show up every day, NEVER miss. Increase and improve your skills. You can make good pay just by showing up and doing menial work and that is a stepping stone into the job market. You do not need good communication skills to unload trucks. Also apply at Goodwill and companies that hire disabled people. Long term they could even have you do some IT work. Also volunteer at food pantries and the like to network, learn social skills, and open up opportunities for paid employment. These operations often have some volunteers and some paid staff, so after showing you can do the job, it may again open up opportunities. How many months in the last 10 years have you worked? Don’t you want to be self-supporting and live on your own?

I do industrial control system programming among other things. If you want to get into a computer-related job, first, get out of the house and do one of the menial jobs. Right now they will hire you. Bang, you now have an employment history and can improve your social skills. I did not make six figures in my first working years, nor will you. Stop regarding these jobs as beneath you. I despise that entitlement thinking.

What is stopping you from mowing lawns and doing landscaping? Start working for someone else. Save every penny until you can buy your own equipment and trailer to haul it for next season. This too will build discipline, and muscle.

Then use the money you save from that to go to a trade school or programming boot camp. Also start learning on your own, do websites for non-profits, build databases, etc, for free. Write and modify open source code. Built a reputation and network.

This response may seem harsh, but it is for your own good, if you do not get employment and the discipline it brings you will not develop as a person.

Why did you lose your last job? The first step is to own it. Was it ‘them’ or ‘me’? Hint: Unless at least 10% of your coworkers also lost their job at same time, e.g. mass layoffs, it was YOU. Introspection is the first step to advancement.

+3
    Swimcat
    Swimcat
    Participant

I agree with Frank One. Take anything you can get. Just get money coming in until things open back up. It could be awhile. I’m still working from home and I really don’t need to. The worst thing you can do is run out of money.

+2
    Grumpy
    Grumpy
    Participant

You can be self taught in any field and earn if you so desire.
    However, your pay scale will reflect that even if you work for yourself.
    That little piece of paper (diploma/certificate/degree) is the first stage of recognizing and establishing “formal training”, additional “documents” reinforce that formal training.
    Without that you are looking at minimum wage and/or being occasional/temporary/part time employed at best, to being wholly unemployed/unemployable at worst.
    All the experience it the world makes no difference to employers/insurance/warranty/OH&S/courts or wages if you do not have the requisite paperwork to back up your experience.
    Now to add insult to injury.
    If you have to much “proof” of formal training you become “over qualified” because you will cost the company too much, and may pose a threat to the current “supervisors” you might work for.

There was a time in my life when I gave a fuck. Now you have to pay ME for it

+3
    ResidentEvil7
    ResidentEvil7
    Participant

I should also mention I have personal experience in PC repair and PC builder and web design and I enjoy it. I used to sell on eBay, but I ended up losing money, but now I’m a buyer. I do it as a hobby, but never did it for money, which I want to do. I figure I start up my own website, learn coding and make/sell a product through downloads.

Remember 4 years ago I said I bought $1,000 worth of PC parts and assembled a gaming rig and tried to sell it on eBay for profit which didn’t? That’s the kind of work I want to do, but as I experience that failure, it wasn’t worth it. I want to build PCs and repair them, but I won’t do it if it’s a loss of money and time. Unless I figure out a way to profit from it, the next computer I build will be for me to use. Which is good, because I always wanted a super computer that lights up in pretty colors.

You can check out my website projects here:
    Ninja Turtles 25 Years: https://ninjaturtles25years.webs.com/
    The NeverEnding Story: https://theneverendingstory.webs.com/
    The Man’s Zone: https://themanszone.webs.com/
    Tomb Raider Adventures: https://theumbrellacorporationwebsite.webs.com/ (still needs some work done)

+2
    FrankOne
    FrankOne
    Participant

You did not answer ANY of the questions I posed. How many months in the last 10 years have you been part or full-time employed? Why aren’t you looking for a job mowing lawns, landscaping, grocery delivery, warehouse, etc TODAY? Why didn’t you go get a job TODAY? Why did you lose the last job you held?

You are now 37 years old or thereabout, as I recall. You have squandered all of your 20’s, and most of your 30’s. Don’t you want to be independent, grow as a person, and move out of your parents’ house? There is no dignity in collecting money from the State (disability) and living off your parents. You are a grown ass man, not a child.

Life is not about TALKING about what you want to do. It’s about ACTION. If you want to learn about online selling, go WORK for someone who DOES it. Start delivering for Amazon. Do a good job. You are unlikely to start your own business writing apps, and be successful at it if you haven’t gotten there in the last 20 years — you do not have the self-initiative/discipline to do that. So that is why you need to go work for somebody else as a wage slave, do the best you can, and at least become an INDEPENDENT ADULT. You will build discipline, job and social skills, and MAYBE someday be able to start your own business or at least move up the s~~~ty oily corporate ladder should you wish to pursue that. The job will give you role models, and help you develop as a person, to develop the self-initiative and build savings/resources that MAY allow you to do the job(s) YOU want to do. This is tough love, I’m trying to help you.

When I was 29 years old I became a millionaire. My net worth exceeded $1 million dollars. That was over 20 years ago. I never inherited anything. I saved and invested in my 20’s — almost all my earnings. I worked hard, earned a degree VERY quickly, and worked without interruption. That is a rigid, disciplined plan. That isn’t to brag; just an illustration, if you don’t WORK and have a plan, you will NOT achieve any goals. And I know MANY people who are little man-children living with Mommy & Daddy in their late 20’s. Every day wasted playing video games and watching youtube, makes it less and less likely you will become independent. I’m not trying to start an argument on this forum; that’s just the way it is. So please, please drop the entitlement, and get a job this week, ANY job. It will improve your confidence and allow you to move forward towards independence in your life.

I look forward to your next post where you tell us about your new job, and I will certainly congratulate you and encourage you to hold it down.

+2
    ResidentEvil7
    ResidentEvil7
    Participant

I started out in 2002 volunteering for a local church doing community projects and home renovations for the locals. I got paid nothing. It lasted 6 months between December 2002 to June 2003 when I moved out.

I should mention I did do some home construction work for my stepfather’s business painting, loading/unloading his truck, shoveling loose stones off a busted up driveway into a bucket and carried to the dumpster, and carpet removal. The carpet was horrible because the previous tenants had a dog that p~~~ed heavily on it and it was still damp when me and my mother removed it. To help pay off my VISA cards, my mom had me mow lawns at her houses for $10/hr. All that work was dirty, back-breaking and miserable, and it was over an hour’s drive (one-way) to get there with no car, but my mom had to drive an hour to pick me up and take me there.

I did land a job at a Mercury dealership as a porter in 2004, but I left it because it was a VERY hostile environment. I hate being yelled at by some two-faced asshole who’s never met me before.

Starting in March of 2012, I work as an Election Judge, because I want to get customer service experience so I can hopefully land a job at Best Buy or any retail store. I don’t want to do construction work again, not with being out of shape.

I do apply for jobs that most people would say suck. I’ve applied for cart attendant at a local grocery store, Wal-Mart and Target; I also applied for truck unloader at Best Buy and open to anything at a local farm store which is around the corner from me (yay, no driving expenses, which means more money for me). I got real close to the cart attendant at Wal-Mart; it was down to me and one other and of course it went to someone else. Story of my life. I can’t help it that I don’t know how to pass the personality test on the job application, and even if I do, I still get a rejection email the next day without even talking to anyone. Even if I’m lucky enough to get an interview, I only make it through the first of three, and I never hear back. Employers are heartless assholes! So instead of continuing to apply for jobs at places that want me to drop dead instead of working for them, I want to study to do work for myself doing what I’m good at and putting that SSI money I’ve been saving up every month to work for me.

I hear people online say it’s better to work for yourself doing what you’re good at instead of working for some jerkoff boss and dealing with incompetent coworkers. Going through a rough time during my school years and some of my earlier “jobs” I can’t stand people. MGTOW.com is different because we’re all gentlemen and I need that in my life. I need good people, otherwise I will hate and mistrust people.

My real passion is in web design and computers, which I need to update my skills, because they’re stuck in the Windows XP and Windows 7 era. I know how to edit videos and burn them to DVDs, which I can’t on this computer, it has no burner installed when I got it for my 32nd birthday.

+3
    FrankOne
    FrankOne
    Participant

Thanks for sharing that. Can you go do some mock or trial interviews with friends, relatives, etc? Shave and make sure hair is combed. Shower. Purpose of trial interviews is to improve confidence in answering questions. Dress in clean clothes and be neat.

Hating your coworkers, or at least not liking many or all of them, is typical. It’s not called FUN, it’s called a JOB. I have been yelled at by incompetent asshole superiors too! It’s just part of the bulls~~~ you have to put up with to stay employed, especially when low on totem pole.

At this point you are older and have a spotty work history, and apparently can’t drive. Understand all that will work against you BUT you can still find something with persistence. I would go over to farm supply store and tell them you’ll work for free for a week as a trial and really need a full time job. See what they say.

Call local food pantries, tell them you are desperate for work, will volunteer even to get work experience. Volunteering there will get you an in and references in a few weeks when other people start hiring. They need lots of people right now because unemployment is high. Even if volunteering, never miss a day and work your ass off. Consider doing customer support job from home where you answer calls. When done with whatever is assigned to you, ask them what else needs done or grab a broom and clean the place up, take out trash, etc.

Also write up a schedule like you were going to work for some tyrant boss every day. It might read something like this:

First hour, work out, jog, bike, etc starting at 8:00am.
    Second hour, call potential employers, respond to inquiries for grunt menial employment. Check with State if they are hiring contact tracers and get on lists.
    30 min break for YouTube, video games or whatever you like to do
    Third through fourth hour — pick a technology, just as JavaScript, PHP, SQL, and learn it thoroughly in a free structured training course, local library will often have access to these or use one freely available to public
    After several months when skills are built up in this area, VOLUNTEER at the food pantry or other local non-profit to work on their webpage, member donor database, mailing list, etc. That will get you an in. Once skills are sufficiently built up you can also find work at freelancer web sites for very small contract jobs. If you aren’t building the web skills after a month or two, shift more hours to finding grunt wage slave work. If you are building computer skills, do the freelancer work, then start paying for classes where certification is earned.

5th through 8 hour can be relaxation first week, then ease into 8 hours of concentrated, planned self improvement.

You have a lawn mower apparently. Can you knock on neighbors doors and offer to mow their lawns for half of whatever the going rate is to quickly build a lawn care business? Add spraying yards to it. Offer to clean their gutters for $20 too. Call it a Coronavirus special.

Good luck!

+1
    ResidentEvil7
    ResidentEvil7
    Participant

Hating your coworkers, or at least not liking many or all of them, is typical. It’s not called FUN, it’s called a JOB. I have been yelled at by incompetent asshole superiors too! It’s just part of the bulls~~~ you have to put up with to stay employed, especially when low on totem pole.

I hate bad and difficult people. I dealt with a lot of punks, thugs and bullies since early childhood, and frankly I’m sick of it. It’s bad people is why I won’t allow comments on my YouTube videos and I disabled reply notifications. Even my kunt of an aunt and her 4 college kids won’t leave me alone (I hope the virus and the s~~~ty weather today ruins her Mother’ Day– HA!). I like good people (MGTOW is a good example, because we’re pretty much mature gentlemen that get along). I know jobs are crap, but I don’t see why managers and coworkers have to be jerks; what does it get anyone? It just makes me want to leave. I don’t like being abused. I will admit, I am a soft simple target because of how badly I was treated growing up.

Can you go do some mock or trial interviews with friends, relatives, etc? Shave and make sure hair is combed. Shower. Purpose of trial interviews is to improve confidence in answering questions. Dress in clean clothes and be neat.

I go on a site called Glassdoor.com where they have the interview questions for each company, sometimes with an answer and then if the candidate got the job or not. I copied/pasted those questions and answers to a Word document and wrote down my best answer. For example, one question was “tell me of a time when you dealt with a failure and how did you get through it” and then I mention how I failed at making a profit on the computer I built 4 years ago and told them that I should of done my homework on it instead of assuming that this PC build is what customers are looking for.

I also want to mention another skill or project I’m considering. Yesterday in the mail a book of mine came in called The Man Cave Book where it’s the stories of men and their man caves. I’m considering turning my website The Man’s Zone into a man cave and MGTOW book and sell it to Amazon where I can collect 70% royalties. I used to write stories until I got writer’s block and stopped writing but I still have the first 6 chapters of my Resident Evil-esque book saved.

+2
    Grumpy
    Grumpy
    Participant

RE7
    Not to put words in Frank’s “mouth”, so here is my understanding of what he is saying. He will correct me and or expand on his point if I am wrong.

Pick a field, any field and then commit fully to it. Learn to master it, pay attention to the details, go above and beyond to learn and progress in that field, use it and yourself (skill, knowledge, and body) for your benefit. If you find that this isn’t the field you “want” to be in, find another and repeat the process.
    The love and passion for a “job” is NOT inherent in the job, it comes from YOU.
    Invest in yourself.
    Working for free isnt solely about doing labour for free. It’s about getting your face, skills, and reputation out there via the best advertising ever. Becoming known for your skills/performance is a huge investment for you, doing it poorly or being unreliable…not so much.

Now from me.
    As for the past and “childhood”.
    If I would have let that bother me in my life, I’d be a victim forever. I would have probably died due to criminal activity at a young age or in prison, not being where I am now. Had I not striven to make myself better, not to prove them wrong,and not to fulfill the condemnations, but to rise above the self pity and loathing of a shyte upbringing that would have allowed me to play victim until life was over.
    Screw that noise. I’m better than that.
    You cant get out of anything if the door to leave is open and you dont leave.

There was a time in my life when I gave a fuck. Now you have to pay ME for it

+2
    FrankOne
    FrankOne
    Participant

It just makes me want to leave. I don’t like being abused. I will admit, I am a soft simple target because of how badly I was treated growing up.

It doesn’t matter if you WANT to leave or whether you were bullied growing up — you are now in your LATE 30’s — it’s NOW or NEVER.

Once employed, you MUST put up with the BS until you have another job secured. NEVER leave a job unless you have another one already lined up OR gigs that will pay your expenses. Leaving/Quitting ANYTHING needs to be REMOVED from your options, even from your vocabulary. Hang a big sign on your bedroom door that reads ‘NEVER QUIT. ACHIEVE GOALS’ and another one on the other side of door ‘NO PAIN, NO GAIN’, that you see every time you enter and leave that room. Part of the problem is you’ve had the OPTION to leave/quit and ‘failed to launch’ as they call it today. Decades ago, the vast majority of kids did not HAVE that option. Today, they are coddled. There were no SSI checks or parents that would support their children and give them a place to live into their late 30’s as you are. That was a MUCH, MUCH, MUCH BETTER SYSTEM because it FORCED personal responsibility on individuals. Your parents should have moved you into a TENT in the backyard after you quit the Mercury job and made you live there until you found another job, then let you live in the house when you paid RENT. Then you would not have had a decade of unemployment. That may sound cruel but this is tough love. I personally know people from foreign countries who went to school in buildings with a dirt floor and worked their way up to success in America, through absolute hard work and discipline.

Election judge is a part-time gig. You work on election days, maybe 2-3 days a year. A good small side gig, maybe 0.5% of your plan for income, but that is not getting you ANYWHERE. It is MAYBE 1/200th of what you need as far as income. Don’t drop it, but keep it in perspective.

I think the writing is good but do that in FREE TIME as a side gig. Same for the programming/web design.

Grumpy: I couldn’t have said it better myself on self-improvement, networking, and victim mentality.

I also recommend dropping the victim mentality. I myself have removed urine-stained carpet from rental properties. Don’t like it? Wear a cartridge respirator. I have had to handle extremely toxic, reactive, and otherwise dangerous chemicals for a decade of my career. Don’t complain about having to drive an hour for a job (or be driven in your case); I worked on contract for an employer where I drove 1.5 hours ONE WAY a decade ago. I work with multiple individuals who commute an hour to work. Be GRATEFUL for the work. Say ‘Good Morning’ to the boss and your co-workers. Don’t gossip. Don’t complain about other workers being ‘lazy’, etc. Don’t tell other people how to do their jobs. You are the new guy, they tell YOU how to do YOUR job.

Also, drop the opposition to manual labor. Register with an employment agency / temporary agency Monday morning first thing. This isn’t ideal, either, but if you get on for a few days of temporary work, AND KICK @ss, it will also lead to potential full-time employment. Do you have, say, a retired neighbor that can drive you to work until you can get a car?

Do you currently have a driver’s license? Can you spend savings you do have on a beater car and insurance that will get you TO a job that is not within walking distance or deliver groceries to people? Can you learn to turn a wrench to keep beater car going until you’ve worked to earn enough to afford more reliable transportation?

As for the aunt and her college kids, I relate; I have relatives that are more successful than I am; this inevitably creates jealousy. Unless it inspires you to better yourself and equal or exceed their successes, though, it’s useless. Maybe they are toxic. Are they challenging you to be a better you, or just lording their success over you?

Set a timeline for when you will become self-supporting, pay rent or moving out of parent’s house and tear up SSI checks, and stick to it.

+2
    FrankOne
    FrankOne
    Participant

I didn’t see any response to my last post, what did you do last week to improve your situation? Did you contact temporary agencies to get employment? How is it going?

I don’t understand either, the obsession with man caves: Once you are self-sufficient, your entire apartment or house will be yours to decorate and outfit as you see fit. Self-sufficiency should be your goal. To achieve it, stop playing video games, watching movies and youtube, etc, for 8 hours a day Mon-Fri. Having 10,000 stars on here is nice but that’s for fun — your goal should be independence. Make it a goal to be independent by next July 4th 2021.

Work at getting a job, like it was a job. And then post again about it, I want to hear about your success at independence (first car, then apartment likely).

+1
    L. Euler
    L. Euler
    Participant

Let me tell you a fantastic computer story about my own child.
    It’s 1997 my child aged seven wants to build his own computer. Instead of going to future shop and watching the repair line longer than the purchase line, I cut him a deal “build your own” I pay for the parts, but you will never stand in the repair line. One day at aged 8, I couldn’t get a sitter, my Ex was useless, no sitter. I work in x-ray, there’s actually a law about having a minor in an x-ray department. I wasn’t allowed to bring him to my job, not for extended periods. It was a Saturday and I got some items from a local computer store. He was coming with me mostly to get out of his mother’s hair.
    He was immediately fascinated with security and peppered them with 10,000 questions. watching in the repair department they said “Your child is jumping multiple repair steps at a time!”.
    When I went too go pick him up….he did not want to leave. Ten thousand more questions about servers…he HAD to have one.!! Same deal I buy the parts but instead of building model airplanes with dad it was a basic server. When I paid for parts, big fight with my EX.!!!! (AS an adult he said best money I ever spent) He rapidly outpaced anything I knew, went back to the computer store….peppered 10,000 more questions to someone who worked in bank security as his other job. My son started doing security security security….he built 3 $15,000 for less than $2.5 K apiece and now learned how to link servers at aged 8.
    All because I couldn’t get a sitter! Now in school he learned a repair service back door. Out of respect for his teachers, he said “what mark do you want me to get”? “I’m just telling you so some bad kids can’t change their mark!! The teacher didn’t believe one student could control the whole school’s education system. He set it up, told the teacher “don’t hit delete”! She hit delete thinking it would only affect his computer. She wiped out everything for the entire school board without altering the screen color green background for teacher , red for repair and blue background for student. Now the whole school board heard about this kid. By aged 9, the screen saver for the USA Central Intelligence Agency (CIA) showed up on my xray monitor one day.. I said ” Geoffrey!! Where have you been today?” “Don’t worry Dad, I know how to cover my tracks”!! Holy Moly!! What next!!..The CIA!!
    He didn’t the computer prize in high school because he got bored and wrote a whole new program. Never a victim of cyber attack…he had a 10 point grading system for a “hacker”. I once watched him get a hacker.he was more thrilled than Christmas ..and he goes “AWWWWW he’s not very good 3/10 and rewarded him by sending him a virus to unhack as a present!”.
    By aged 22 he does a year of College, gets bored, quits, I got a divorce and he moves out west. The University was blown away by his skills his job interview “I have 15 years of experience on your servers I started when I was 8 years old”! The youngest Senior Systems Analyst ever hired by the University aged 22. He has a 100% pension retires at aged 53 with 100% pension and a depression proof job since he works remotely!! Not bad for a kid with no degree. Key is to love what you do. I’ve watched him hack every bank in under 20 seconds (white hat hacker not black hat)
    I say this as encouragement for you in computers. I never ever saw my child waste any time on gaming, for him it was linking servers and of course with the cloud..more important than ever. If you are as obsessed as my kid….a seriously good IT job awaits!

L. Euler

SpiderHerder
    SpiderHerder
    Participant

Amazing story, Euler.

If that doesn’t get you excited, RE7, nothing will.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.