Going to an art/punk rock gig sober

Topic by tripvan

Tripvan

Home Forums Health and Fitness Going to an art/punk rock gig sober

This topic contains 17 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by SpiderHerder  SpiderHerder 4 months ago.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    +5
    Tripvan
    tripvan
    Participant

I bought this ticket to a punk rock gig because I really appreciate the music these guys create, but I’ve also been getting my life together on track at the same time also. I know that having a drink will put me over the edge (last weekend was like that, and I spent all Sunday recovering from staying out all night)

I know if I’m not careful a night of binge drinking tonight will:
    – Screw up my sleep and melatonin
    – Make me feel terrible all day tomorrow (I work full time so the weekend is pretty valuable to me)
    – Kill brain cells
    – Put me ?? degrees/percent off of my diet and fitness goals
    – Mean I won’t go to the gym tomorrow, and if I do would be worthless and potentially unsafe dragging myself through the motions
    – I would have to pay Uber costs to and from the venue instead of being my own Uber

The last time I saw these guys I was incredibly drunk and although the gig was great, I remember focusing on the chick I was dancing with instead of the group. I don’t want this to be the same – this band has a lot of depth to offer and I think going sober will allow me to focus more on the music and the musicians themselves.

My friend who is also going is going to be sober also, because his doctor is trying to put the brakes on some stomach ulcers. I think this is going to be a good thing for both of us.

I guess the dilemma I feel is that drinking is so much entwined with the culture that I might be or feel alienated in that crowd. That might be a good thing – just realizing that now makes me come to the question – do I want to have anything to do with a crowd that I don’t feel comfortable sober in? Guess I’ll go to the gig and see for myself if I do or not and take it from there.

+6
    Awakened
    Awakened
    Participant

Some things that are enjoyable when you’re drunk are not quite so entertaining when you’re sober….

Also, being in that environment may make one thing lead to another, and before ya know it the booze is flowing….I guess you’ll see how it all works out???

In a World of Justin Beibers Be a Johnny Cash

+4
    IMickey503
    iMickey503
    Participant

Control is a hard thing to do. In fact, I drink so little now, one glass of wine gets me a hard core buzz. But that’s what I do at 6AM in the morning if I want a good nights sleep. Just don’t make it a habit.

Enjoy your time bro! In fact, if you are having a great time, that’s all that matters. But as all things, we pay that piper one day 🙂

You are all alone. If you have been falsely accused of RAPE, DV, PLEASE let all men know about the people who did this. http://register-her.net/web/guest/home

+7
    Daryll55
    Daryll55
    Participant

In my “young years,”when stoned THIS SONG was badass.
    Listening to it sober is completely different!

Whatever the outcome: You are currently doing what is BEST for YOU.
    (The 55 yr old tripvan will thank the current tripvan)

Marry again, Hell NO ! ( Even JESUS was hung on a cross just once)

+3
    IMickey503
    iMickey503
    Participant

Okay, who took a picture of my wall outlets! And that song really is not bad. But really, its the FEELINg of the moment that matters. Good sounding album that’s for sure. Man I miss the old mastering engineers.

You are all alone. If you have been falsely accused of RAPE, DV, PLEASE let all men know about the people who did this. http://register-her.net/web/guest/home

+4
    Tripvan
    tripvan
    Participant

Yeah thanks guys, I’m just going to go and get out there and have a blast regardless – good music hits the spot. I’m glad to see there’s still activity on here even after all this time!

+5
    Bstoff
    bstoff
    Participant

You would be surprised at how many people go to these shows sober and have a great time. Maybe a better time than when they are too drunk to appreciate it.
    Sobriety also keeps you from getting sucked into messing around with a gash you wouldn’t want to mess with if you weren’t drunk.

Have a good time and enjoy the experience sober.

+4
    Monk
    Monk
    Participant

The last time I saw these guys I was incredibly drunk and although the gig was great, […] I think going sober will allow me to focus more on the music and the musicians themselves.

Be prepared to realise that they are not as good as you thought they were.

+4
    Daryll55
    Daryll55
    Participant

Mickey…..
    Those were the days bro.
    POST woodstock came some really good guitar.inspired by the shadow of Jimi Hendrix.

Deep Purple, Led Zep, Skynyrd,Aerosmith its all good.

Marry again, Hell NO ! ( Even JESUS was hung on a cross just once)

+4
    Spleefer
    Spleefer
    Participant

I go to shows all the time. Never drink. It’s way better. Women will hit on you more, that’s the weird thing about it. They try to get me to drink. It never works. But weird how they want me to do something destructive to my life. Have fun!

Galatians 5:1 (KJV) Stand fast therefore in the liberty wherewith Christ hath made us free, and be not entangled again with the yoke of bondage.

+3
    Gravel Pit
    Gravel Pit
    Participant

drinking is so much entwined with the culture

drinking is entwined with the West, there is virtually no escaping it in public. Thats only a problem for the half that dont have a spotaneous and unquenchable thirst to keep chugging it after the first beer. If its uncontrollable, you should just not drink period. I havent had a drink since I was 27, that was 6 years ago.

do I want to have anything to do with a crowd that I don’t feel comfortable sober in?

exactly… but its inescapable anyway. No matter what social function you attend, there is going to be alcohol served. Guess what though, there is a world of lemonade, sparking water, tea and soda out there.

good music hits the spot.

I love TOOL. 6 years of Sobriety hasnt changed that at all. Many TOOL fans apparently love to Trip or do drugs or whatever I DONT KNOW, I never did any of that crap past the age of 20, I just drank. THE MUSIC IS PROFOUNDLY IMPACTFUL EVEN WITHOUT BOOZE. If you dont find this to be the case, then the band is not for you. This happened to me for many bands that I previously liked when I drank but now I cant even hear that sh!t at all ie Slipknot and Mindless Self Indulgence LOL

But you have to ask yourself. Why do I need to FEEL different? Can you really handle drinking? Are you an alcoholic? OR MAYBE YOU JUST NEED TO STOP BECAUSE YOURE AT THE AGE WHERE YOU NEED TO PUT IT DOWN. My best friend and mentor was a VERY heavy drinker yet he NEVER had consequences or freakouts in his drinking. He always put it down at the proper time to go to bed, never drank in the morning, never drank at work… he is not a drunk. Yet the heavy drinking RUINED his liver. He became bloated with liquids and it nearly killed him at 53. Now he doesnt drink a drop ever, for many years, and he is FINE and DANDY.

Drinking is a luxury that some men have no business enjoying. Others are fine with it, and others need to put it down after they hit 50 years old…

The question is, do you think you can control it once you start? The answer is probably know if you even have to think about it beyond 1 second. Drop it like a std infested whore and enjoy all the fine beverages that dont make you feel like sh1t in life

+3
    Gravel Pit
    Gravel Pit
    Participant

Your enjoyment and contentment in life is worth being present for. You dont need to augment your waking conscious experience. Your brain will give you all the feel goods you need, craft beer not required.

I like chugging some rich ass coffee in the morning and ripping into a keyboard on MGTOW threads though. LMAO! F~~~ing ripped on caffeine fsckers.

+3
    IMickey503
    iMickey503
    Participant

Mickey….. Those were the days bro. POST woodstock came some really good guitar.inspired by the shadow of Jimi Hendrix.
    <iframe width=”500″ height=”375″ src=”https://www.youtube.com/embed/0tLsFsGxLmE?feature=oembed” frameborder=”0″ allow=”accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture” allowfullscreen=””></iframe>
    Deep Purple, Led Zep, Skynyrd,Aerosmith its all good.

What many people don’t understand is that back in the day, you had people who played music for playing music. There was no Bulls~~~ about it. And it was from the soul man.

It was not about being the best at anything. Just the feeling they had. You caught that. It was like a drug man. You felt the power and vibes deep down in your soul.

These people were not just Mussians. They were REAL PEOPLE. THey did not need to call a tech if their GuitarTh Cab went out, or had to replace a tube live during the show. They knew how to fix the carb when it went on the fritz to a show.

You could relate to them since they were real people.

I never was around back then. But even I can tell you their was something special. Almost Fragile… It was right there at the tip of the razor.. one wrong move, it all came down.

For those of you who lived in this time? You were some lucky people.

+2
    Tripvan
    tripvan
    Participant

Gig was great and I didn’t sink a drop! I feel tired today but no worse than staying up late – feels so good to be able to get things done today. Did spend a hundred on vinyl, but that’s a given and I’m saving on shipping costs by buying then and there. It’s the best way to support the artists too which is important whilst getting something back you can listen to and cherish for the rest of your life.

Be prepared to realise that they are not as good as you thought they were.

Yes and no – this group is still getting settled in performing tracks from their latest album so it’s understandable they weren’t in their strongest stride, but this did not deter from an excellent evening. The supporting acts were great too. If anything, the crowd was the most disappointing factor – people just standing there, not clapping, not really getting into it. And as well with the circle chodes hanging around the one or two halfway-attractive girls, standing in the middle talking amongst eachother throughout the performances, getting in the way of my sight-lines instead of focusing on listening or dancing to the music. And then by the end of the show the headlining act almost didn’t come out for an encore because the crowd wasn’t clapping or yelling hard enough – I felt the brunt of the responsibility to get the crowd to clap and scream ‘MORE’ was up to me and a few select others.

I go to shows all the time. Never drink. It’s way better. Women will hit on you more, that’s the weird thing about it. They try to get me to drink. It never works. But weird how they want me to do something destructive to my life. Have fun!

Yes, I think this is going to be a new thing I will do as well, I’m sold. Mind you there were a lot of land whales around the center sweet-spot I wanted to stay well clear of at the same time.

+2
    Tripvan
    tripvan
    Participant

I love TOOL. 6 years of Sobriety hasnt changed that at all. Many TOOL fans apparently love to Trip or do drugs or whatever I DONT KNOW, I never did any of that crap past the age of 20, I just drank. THE MUSIC IS PROFOUNDLY IMPACTFUL EVEN WITHOUT BOOZE. If you dont find this to be the case, then the band is not for you. This happened to me for many bands that I previously liked when I drank but now I cant even hear that sh!t at all ie Slipknot and Mindless Self Indulgence LOL
    But you have to ask yourself. Why do I need to FEEL different? Can you really handle drinking? Are you an alcoholic? OR MAYBE YOU JUST NEED TO STOP BECAUSE YOURE AT THE AGE WHERE YOU NEED TO PUT IT DOWN.

The question is, do you think you can control it once you start? The answer is probably know if you even have to think about it beyond 1 second. Drop it like a std infested whore and enjoy all the fine beverages that dont make you feel like sh1t in life

The new Tool album is phenomenal – rekindled my love of their particular niche and style – I really want to source a vinyl copy when that’s released. Agreed, I think this is an age thing too and over time one becomes more discerning about their tastes. I can control drinking, but the question is similar to tobacco although not as pronounced – do I want to put myself through the withdrawal. And when I have a drink or two still makes me feel s~~~ter later on – that’s what fuels the urge to drink continuously. I probably just need to put it down and count my losses because life seems a lot brighter without allowing myself to binge copious amounts, but still I’ll enjoy a nip or two of single malt islay from time to time.

Your enjoyment and contentment in life is worth being present for. You dont need to augment your waking conscious experience. Your brain will give you all the feel goods you need, craft beer not required.
    I like chugging some rich ass coffee in the morning and ripping into a keyboard on MGTOW threads though. LMAO! F~~~ing ripped on caffeine fsckers.

After reading this I poured myself a damn fine steaming hot cup of joe – get amongst it!

These people were not just Mussians. They were REAL PEOPLE. THey did not need to call a tech if their GuitarTh Cab went out, or had to replace a tube live during the show. They knew how to fix the carb when it went on the fritz to a show.
    You could relate to them since they were real people.
    I never was around back then. But even I can tell you their was something special. Almost Fragile… It was right there at the tip of the razor.. one wrong move, it all came down.
    For those of you who lived in this time? You were some lucky people.

I don’t quite understand how fixing a guitar cab live on stage really goes hand in hand with connecting with their audience, but there are still musicians out there like this who strive for that connection – you just need to go look out for them and pay no attention to the fakers.

+2
    Gravel Pit
    Gravel Pit
    Participant

Do what thou will but continue to rock on man.

The 7empest will be just that, the 7empest will be just that…

I put TOOL on the earbuds and start jogging. Danny’s rolling polyrhythms, Adam’s shooting sparks out the amplifier, Justin blasting bass melody and Maynard cooing about spiritual sh!t …Im in heaven and wake up 6 miles down the road… That is a fvcking buzz you cant find in a 40oz. 🎸🎵⚡

+1
    Gravel Pit
    Gravel Pit
    Participant

I like Offspring still. They always had a good sound. Deftones too maintained goodness

+2
    SpiderHerder
    SpiderHerder
    Participant

Good on you, tripvan !

Rock on !

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.