Google Alternatives

Topic by Kolaxis

Kolaxis

Home Forums Computers, Games and Technology Google Alternatives

This topic contains 18 replies, has 15 voices, and was last updated by Wcurtin1962  wcurtin1962 2 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    +7
    Kolaxis
    Kolaxis
    Participant

I’ve noticed that DuckDuckGo has been gaining a lot of traction on this site recently. This is a very good alternative to Google but there are other alternatives out there.

Ixquick is the most private search engine available. While it has better privacy than DDG, I have personally found that it’s more difficult to find what I’m looking for there. DDG is its own search engine while Ixquick consults ten different search engines, none of which are Google.

StartPage is run by Ixquick. The difference between the two pages is that StartPage uses only Google searches. Using this one completely depends on whether or not you feel that StartPage indirectly supports Google as a result.

There are other search engines out there but I personally feel that the three above are the best. Still, if you want to check them out, here you go: Disconnect, MetaGer, and searX.

Tor-Users and Cloudfare/Captchas are going to favor Ixquick/StartPage. Happy searching!

Jackie: How do you write women so well?
    Melvin Udall: I think of a man and I take away reason and accountability.

Anonymous

How about email and browsers alternatives as well?

+3
    Ghost
    ghost
    Participant

I’ve noticed that DuckDuckGo has been gaining a lot of traction on this site recently. This is a very good alternative to Google but there are other alternatives out there.

I am a fan of DuckDuckGo. Great search engine.

+4
    MoreSky
    MoreSky
    Participant

When I de-googled I switched to DuckDuckGo for search; protonmail for email (which lead to protonVPN for VPN); and dumped Chrome, as my occasional alternative to Safari, for Firefox. Use loads of privacy plugins for Safari and Firefox which stops most cookies and tracking (ABP, Ghostery, uBlock etc.)

These are obviously for mainstream users (which i am mostly). The default Tor browser is based on Firefox (just checked) and I believe is due a major update in the near future.

riseup.net is a good (very private) email service too but you generally need an invite to that. I don’t use that too often these days as protonmail security and privacy is excellent.

"...reinvent your life because you must; it is your life and its history and the present belong only to you.” It is Your Life, Charles Bukowski.

IRuleMe
    IRuleMe
    Participant

Speaking of email. I had inbox.com for 11 years. They decided last year to do away with their free accounts. I paid $8 last year (hardly seemed like a big deal really) to keep my account for a year. Now they want another $28 this year for the cheapest service. I was like “no thanks”. So I signed up with

mail.com

+2
    Carnage
    Carnage
    Participant

Duck duck go is my oficial search engine now.

To those following me, be careful, I just farted. Men those beans are killers.

IRuleMe
    IRuleMe
    Participant

Duck duck go is my oficial search engine now.

I have it set to the search engine for firefox

Joey Alfio
    Joey Alfio
    Participant

Bing

Δεν υπάρχει τίποτε αδύνατο γι’ αυτόν που θα προσπαθήσει. - Μέγας Αλέξανδρος

Kolaxis
    Kolaxis
    Participant

Email
    1. ProtonMail – Free and paid service. The free service does not offer much storage. Still, it’s the most secure free email service out there. Please note that if you’re in an email chain with any user(s) not using secure email, the email cannot truly be considered secure. Communicating with someone who does not protect themselves removes a great deal of the protections you put into place for yourself.

2. Tutanota – Free and paid service. Like ProtonMail, very limited storage on the free service but it’s still available. ProtonMail has a slightly better reputation but this is a close second.

Web Browsers

Dozens and dozens of web browsers are available. I’ll just cover a few. Feel free to experiment with others.

1. Tor Browser – If you’re looking for security, this is it. If you have never used Tor before, you may find that some of the pages you normally use don’t work properly out of the box. You may need to do some tweaking to the browser and/or consult a forum or two. Also note that the default search engine for the most secure web browser is StartPage, not DuckDuckGo as it was in the past.

2. Mozilla Firefox – This is one of the most popular browsers and is also the one that Tor is based off of. Like Chrome, many plugins are available for you to customize.

3. Opera – Another popular browser than has been around for many years. Not as feature rich as other browsers but makes up for that with speed and stability.

4. Vivaldi – A new browser and the most customizable available. I haven’t used this one yet but I hear great things.

Reg22
    reg22
    Participant

DuckDuckGo, the best one.

I think any AI based search engine is vulnerable to bots and people, then, in BR, most google results are based on feminism, left, etc..

Kolaxis
    Kolaxis
    Participant

I’ve personally replaced most of my personal tasks at home with Brave Browser and a non-gmail account.

Yes, I forgot about Brave. I still associate that in my head with mobile browsers since that’s where I saw it first and I forget that it’s a good option on PC.

DuckDuckGo, the best one.

Best is very subjective. I stopped using DuckDuckGo last year for two reasons.

1. DuckDuckGo’s servers are US based and thus more susceptible to pressures from the NSA. Though DDG has not given any info to the NSA as of yet, they are the most “vulnerable” of the secure search engines in this regard.

2. A third party company placed a tracker into the system. The tracker has since been removed. Whether DDG knew about this and did nothing until people discovered it or didn’t know that was possible is irrelevant to me. They were either dishonest or incompetent.

DuckDuckGo is still way more secure than using Google, Bing, Yahoo!, etc. Also, I’m not trying to keep people from using the site. I am only pointing out that if you’re looking for the absolute best security, DDG is not the best option. What it is the best at, as far as secure searching is concerned, is feeling the most like Google without being affiliated.

Gnuwalnutknight
    gnuwalnutknight
    Participant

https://prism-break.org/en/

https://www.privacytools.io/

There are other search engines out there but I personally feel that the three above are the best. Still, if you want to check them out, here you go: Disconnect, MetaGer, and searX.

If you care for the owner of searx.me, try giving one of the other public instances a try since it costs time and money to host a web server and maintain it.

https://github.com/asciimoo/searx/wiki/Searx-instances

Alternatively you can host your own on your personal machine.

When I de-googled I switched to DuckDuckGo for search; protonmail for email (which lead to protonVPN for VPN); and dumped Chrome, as my occasional alternative to Safari, for Firefox. Use loads of privacy plugins for Safari and Firefox which stops most cookies and tracking (ABP, Ghostery, uBlock etc.)

These are obviously for mainstream users (which i am mostly). The default Tor browser is based on Firefox (just checked) and I believe is due a major update in the near future.

riseup.net is a good (very private) email service too but you generally need an invite to that. I don’t use that too often these days as protonmail security and privacy is excellent.

If you want to take it to another level you can have a custom user.js. You should modify it since it will break most websites, but I decided if web owners were going to make a website so invasive, I’d rather drop them on my firewall.

https://github.com/ghacksuserjs/ghacks-user.js/

I also recommend NoScript as well.

Max
    Max
    Participant

2. Mozilla Firefox – This is one of the most popular browsers and is also the one that Tor is based off of. Like Chrome, many plugins are available for you to customize.

3. Opera – Another popular browser than has been around for many years. Not as feature rich as other browsers but makes up for that with speed and stability.

4. Vivaldi – A new browser and the most customizable available. I haven’t used this one yet but I hear great things.

Mozilla Firefox has recently donated money to Antifa groups, Mozilla is now an ally of George Soros and should not be used because of that! Even Waterfox it’s in the same scheme! Opera and Vivaldi are in the same category of Google, so forget about that.

Here are better alternatives:
    Otter : web browser that aims to recreate the best aspects of the classic Opera

Pale Moon: Very similar to Mozilla, but it is not alied with george soros.

GNU IceCat, Dooble, Iridium, Qupzilla, NetSurf, Ungoogled-chromiun and brave

I became a MGTOW because this was the only logical solution for a man survive in a world replete of gynocentrism and biased against men!

Anonymous

@max
    Oh do say this isn’t so. PLEASE!
    F~~~ Bolsehvism.

+1
    Antipathy
    Antipathy
    Participant

duckduck is an excellent choice.

Kolaxis
    Kolaxis
    Participant

Mozilla Firefox has recently donated money to Antifa groups,

Well, that sucks. Qutebrowser it is. Don’t recommend that for most, though.

Anonymous

Duckduckgo. F~~~ being tracked by fascist liberal t~~~s / the govt.

Astro
    Astro
    Participant

I should consider looking into these and it seems like many went with Duck Duck Go. DONE!

Wcurtin1962
    wcurtin1962
    Participant

I’m still using Yahoo for searches. I tired Google once, had to wade though 2 pages of s~~~ to get what I was looking for.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.