Question for truckers (CDL) from a vanlifer

Topic by riron

Riron

Home Forums Work Question for truckers (CDL) from a vanlifer

Tagged: , ,

This topic contains 7 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Riron  riron 10 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    +6
    Riron
    riron
    Participant

I’ve been living in a van for a while (the lifestyle just really suits me, and probably suits other MGTOW as well, although the detailed motivations are for another topic), and I have questions for commercial truckers. I think trucking is also suited for MGTOW (lots of money, and the drain on relationships isn’t that big of a problem) which is why I’m asking this here.

I’ve noticed something that you’d think would be more obvious:

a) Commercial trucks stop all the time at weird places
    b) Commercial trucks have mini living spaces at the back of the cab
    c) Commercial trucks usually do a lot of long-haul

In particular, would anyone (ideally commercial truckers) know what trucker resources a vanlifer could use? Particularly places to park, shower, etc.
    If you’re a trucker, how do you normally find a place to park and sleep for the night? Rest stops? Ideally in a city?

Would it be a good assumption that anywhere that isn’t private property and has a decent number of commercial trucks stopped there, I could just stay for the night? Or would the truckers get p~~~ed at me because I’m not one of them?

If I pass by a truck just randomly parked somewhere at night, what’s the probability that there’s someone sleeping in there?

(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

+4
    Swimcat
    Swimcat
    Participant

I’m not a truck driver, but know a lot of guys who are or are retired. They say it’s good life. It’s trade where and a man without a lot of education can make a lot of money. One man I know started off as a dump truck driver, started his own gravel company and is today one of the wealthiest men I have ever known. He didn’t graduate from high school.
    It’s a good life. It can be a dangerous life and the road gets old.

Get with a good company with good training and benefits. Put in your time, learn the business, and then maybe think about getting your own truck and being independent. Keep your credit report and taxes up to snuff.

Above all, stay away from the temptations of the road, lot lizards, drugs, gambling, and excessive alcohol. I read a story about a trucker in Michigan that got lured into a threesome with hookers. Turned one of the women was a fifteen year old. They were arrested and he got five years in the state lockup. Those lot lizards will come pounding on your windows when you’re trying to sleep. Stay away from those bitches.

+6
    Riron
    riron
    Participant

Uhhhh thanks I guess, I have no intentions of being a truck driver as a source of income, I’m just in a position in which I might use similar resources. I’m sure someone else will benefit from your advice though.

(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

+7
    743 roadmaster
    743 roadmaster
    Participant

I have several family members that were truck drivers.
    Showers at truck stops, but cost money. The only other showers beside a motel/hotel is some camping grounds. Some churches have set up campgrounds with full facilities. Not much out there if you are not a member of a club/church/other group.
    One place you can get a shower for free, public beach most have a shower some place to wash off the salt/sand.

You should be able to park at most if not all truck stops to sleep. Rest stops, weight stations, state line information stops, and most walmart parking lots.

Youtube has all kinds of people living in vans splashing there life out before everyone. What they do to survive.

mgtow is its own worst enemy- https://www.campusreform.org/

+5
    Bstoff
    bstoff
    Participant

As Roadmaster said, truck stops and motels are where truckers normally shower.
    Some are free to truckers or maybe you, if you buy 100 gallons of fuel.

you can sleep in your van at the truck stops in North America, Walmarts and other large retailers with big parking lots.

Interstate on/off ramps are legal for parking/sleeping in most states, too.
    Rest stops are OK, but sketchy people stop by there and it can be noisy when you are sleeping if people show up there.

+4
    WPL
    WPL
    Participant

I’m not a trucker, but I have a friend who is. He started out as an over-the-road guy. Later on, he switched to a dedicated route and was home every night but he became bored with that. Now he does a mix of the two — a couple of day trips each week, a few overnight runs, and usually two or three days off (normally at least Saturday and Sunday off, but this depends on how busy his employer is; sometimes he has to work half of a Saturday). He enjoys the work, but he grew up driving all sorts of machinery and trucks on a farm so it was sort of natural for him to go into it. He also has a very calm and steady personality, which probably helps. I think his biggest complaint — and this will probably vary depending on your employer — is that he often doesn’t know what type of run he’ll make (or if he’ll get a third day off) until 12 – 24 hours beforehand.

I also have an uncle who is a former dedicated city route guy. He loves driving in general, but he said that the increasing congestion in the city where he drove, and the general insanity of other drivers, got tiresome.

I have personally used the showers in a couple of truck stops (my power was off for 11 days after Superstorm Sandy). It cost about $5 — but I think if you bought enough fuel, it would have been free. The showers in these particular rest stops were huge and clean. The lounge in one place was cool — sat in there and watched a movie, since I had no power at home. People just assumed I was another driver.

+3
    Bstoff
    bstoff
    Participant

I’ve seen a few “vanliving” videos recently and fitness clubs are a good way to get showers for a $10-per-month membership fee that you can use at any of their chain’s locations.

Keep in mind, a lot of those Instagram vanliver’s are faking it or not living in their vans as much as you might think.

+4
    Riron
    riron
    Participant

Thanks all, that’s nice to hear. I think I’m gonna try going to a truck stop shower for once so it’s no longer just speculation. Although it doesn’t really seem like there are many in cities, but it’ll make travelling much easier

(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.