Repo Man, 1984.

Topic by

Home Forums Cool S~~~ & Fun Stuff Repo Man, 1984.

This topic contains 17 replies, has 11 voices, and was last updated by Sidecar  sidecar 1 year, 3 months ago.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    +8

Anonymous

One of my all time favorite movies. Otto is pretty much a more tame version of what I was as a kid. Yea, I got into a lot of trouble, and thankfully didn’t get caught for things that would have gotten me into even more trouble. Women/girls were left in my wake at about the pace of one a month. And guess what? If I could go back there is not much I would have done different. I lost friends along the way to war, drugs, and suicides, they are the ones I miss most. The ones who got married, all dead to me as well.

This was pretty much my attitude as a kid, s~~~, still is to an extent-

From the last scene-
    “Otto, don’t go!” “What about our relationship?!”
    “What?”
    “What about our relationship?”
    “F~~~ that”

Don’t ever let a woman keep you from the ride you want to go on.

+3
    K
    Hitman
    Participant

great post !
    i worked as a repo man’s assistant in my 20’s.
    i really loved sleeping all day and getting up at night,
    to steal cars .
    my boss made the real money,
    i was busy having fun.
    black leather jacket and gloves,
    high on coffee and cigarettes,
    good times..
    winter was cold and the summer was hot,
    but i liked the excitement.

always loved to speed…

+3

Anonymous

great post !
    i really loved sleeping all day and getting up at night,
    to steal cars .
    my boss made the real money,
    i was busy having fun.
    black leather jacket and gloves,
    high on coffee and cigarettes,
    good times..
    winter was cold and the summer was hot,
    but i liked the excitement.

always loved to speed…

I can’t even fathom your experience. That being said I think that you could get a lot of mileage out of a book about what you’ve seen. It could be a fictionalized account to be on the safe side. “The Adventures Of Raymond Black” or some such title.

+3
    K
    Hitman
    Participant

I can’t even fathom your experience.

i guess we all have different experiences..
    one is no more valid than another’s..
    if i lived where you do,
    i would have had completely different things happen in my life.
    i am jealous of the real ” americans”
    N.Y. is a place unto itself.
    w a lot of money,
    N.Y.C. is a playground…
    i never had a lot of dough…

+3

Anonymous

Best movie soundtrack. Ever……

+1
    Faust For Science
    Faust For Science
    Participant

Repo Man had a good beginning and middle, but took the easy way out at the end instead of finishing the hard social commentary that the beginning and middle started.

Personally, I would have thrown out the alien stuff in the movie and ended the film with the main cast repoing a cop’s personal car. In response, the hammer is dropped hard on them, thus showing that government will never let the common men be successful in society.

+3
    GregB0
    GregB0
    Participant

all time favorite movies.

Absolutely

if i lived where you do,
    i would have had completely different things happen in my life.

Great comment and very relevant realization regarding being aware of where you are and what it means to be there.

​"​My father didn't tell me how to live; he lived, and let me watch him do it.​" - Clarence Buddinton Kelland

+2
    Suggestius
    Suggestius
    Participant

I don’t know who’s that guy. I only know the one Repo Man. There he is.

Happiness for all and let no one be forgotten ("Roadside picnic", Arkady and Boris Strugatsky)

+3

Anonymous

Ha, crazy s~~~ Hitman, you being a Repo Man… I bet it was fun.

Another great thing about this movie is they did not sell out to advertising, every single thing they show in the movie is generic, the stores… all generic products, keeping to the punk theme…

I love how whenever Otto and Bud are in a liquor store Debbie, Duke and Archie are robbing it, about to rob it, or are just getting done robbing it.

I could never figure out why Kevin is in the hospital though when Otto finds him on the gurney under the sheet… I think a scene got left on the cutting room floor. Ok, looked into it, Kevin is actually at their old boss’s house when he gets the Repo Man beating, guess they kicked his ass too… lol

+1
    Blade
    blade
    Participant

Thought you would like this bro they only run 30 secs

Never forget ya nuts . Lol

THE PLANTATION HAS NOW TURNED INTO THE KILLING FIELDS . WOMAN ARE NOW ROLLING CAMBODIAN STYLE .

+2

Anonymous

Ha, funny s~~~ Blade. Was that really weed or just tobacco the monkey was smoking? For his sake, I hope weed.

And that dude who gets hit by the tire… what kind of f~~~ing luck is that s~~~? He was out cold, poor bastard.

+1
    Blade
    blade
    Participant

Lol . Bro one more . Funny as f~~~ . Pretends he has been juiced up on ice and has found himself coverd in s~~~ . They treat abbos a special way and see them in a certain way . Thats why they ask if there indigenous. Because if they f~~~ up dealing with him on the phone they can get in serious s~~~ and loose there jobs . Taking advantage of rascism and turning it to humor.

THE PLANTATION HAS NOW TURNED INTO THE KILLING FIELDS . WOMAN ARE NOW ROLLING CAMBODIAN STYLE .

Blade
    blade
    Participant

Oh . Got to drive alot of cars . Back then . The dream cars .

Owned some pretty tuff wheels to . Good old days

+1

Anonymous

Ok, now laughing my ass off to this beached whale.

+1
    Gravel Pit
    Gravel Pit
    Participant

Great film, another weird 80’s movie imo. I bought this movie on the advice of someone here so I own it.

Gotta love Harry Dean Stanton. dean stanton

+1
    Maverick
    Maverick
    Participant

Best movie soundtrack. Ever……

Better than this?

Maverick
    Maverick
    Participant

I don’t know who’s that guy. I only know the one Repo Man. There he is.

Sidecar
    sidecar
    Participant

Did you find a little scented tree in every car?

These days I’m guessing it’s probably an uber sticker that’s found on every repo’d car.

took the easy way out at the end instead of finishing the hard social commentary that the beginning and middle started.

Naw.

Saying, “F~~~ all that s~~~,” and taking off in a glowing, flying, UFO / Time Machine car was the social commentary.

Another great thing about this movie is they did not sell out to advertising, every single thing they show in the movie is generic, the stores… all generic products,

Not really. Repo Man had two corporate sponsors. The scented cardboard tree makers (“You’ll find one in every car. You’ll see.”) and a southern californian supermarket chain. (Vons maybe?)

Store brands were only beginning to be a thing in the 80s so the supermarket chain in question hadn’t really worked out the need to have a name for their store brand, so they just used a certain font and put a blue line on the packaging. So Repo Man actually was advertising a company’s product line. The film was pretty heavily promoting the Vons (?) store brand, but audiences outside the Los Angeles area didn’t recognize the labeling and assumed it was unbranded.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.