Restoring my Computer .. the easy way.

Topic by hmskl'd

Hmskl'd

Home Forums Computers, Games and Technology Restoring my Computer .. the easy way.

This topic contains 6 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by WPL  WPL 1 month, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    +1
    Hmskl'd
    hmskl’d
    Participant

I see so many advertisements for computer cleaning, removal of unwanted entities like adware, virus and malware ..

they list download tools, they list professional services .. on and on .. complicated tools for cleaning the machine
    and they give reviews of just how many they have restored after long and tedious process, hopefully removing the bugs and clutter

yet, no one ever mentions the easiest way to restore a computer to absolutely clean and clear perfection .. at zero cost

.. just save some of your important things, then erase all .. erase entire hard drive
    and do a complete system restore .. using either the recovery discs or download new system from Apple or your preferred brand.

restore like new, out of the box. set up the machine from scratch .. again .. everything clean, clear, perfect .. brand new

cost .. nothing .. fixes everything
    works every time.

also a great time to put in the new SSD, and re-install Chrome and the inc speed of the new empty and uncluttered machine is noticeable here, any sluggishness is instantly gone ..
    I don’t ever have tons of stuff, not much stored on machine, photos, documents or programs .. so this method works well with very little preparation needed before erasing everything clean from HD

+1
    Hermit
    Hermit
    Participant

This is my work computer, so I am unable to do anything with it, but when I did have my own computer at home, that’s exactly how I used to do it. Every now and then, I’d just format the hard drive and start all over with a clean computer. A couple times I didn’t have a choice, because my stupid x started using it and of course clicked on s~~~ that gave my computer viruses.

The evil in women’s hearts leaves them no moral bounds as to inhibit them from descending to the lowest levels of darkness to acquire their self entitled desires.

WPL
    WPL
    Participant

When I built my old PC and got it configured exactly how I wanted, I backed up an image of the system hard drive to an external enclosure containing two identical drives configured as a RAID1 array (theoretically the motherboard allowed RAID configurations, but I never had the patience to get that working properly). I also saved copies of anything important to the external drive. This made it easy to reformat the system drive and get up and running again (as I had to do several times when Linux and Windoze didn’t want to play nicely together in a dual-boot setup).

I no longer have a PC at home… and while some folks (like those into PC gaming) would probably think this is nuts, it has made my life more peaceful.

+2
    Hermit
    Hermit
    Participant

I no longer have a PC at home… and while some folks (like those into PC gaming) would probably think this is nuts, it has made my life more peaceful.

When I started the job I have now, using a computer as the primary tool, I immediately got rid of my home PC. I sit at a desk and stare at these screens all damn day. There’s no way I want to do the same thing at home.

The evil in women’s hearts leaves them no moral bounds as to inhibit them from descending to the lowest levels of darkness to acquire their self entitled desires.

Coolthingy450
    coolthingy450
    Participant

I see so many advertisements for computer cleaning, removal of unwanted entities like adware, virus and malware ..
    they list download tools, they list professional services .. on and on .. complicated tools for cleaning the machine and they give reviews of just how many they have restored after long and tedious process, hopefully removing the bugs and clutter
    yet, no one ever mentions the easiest way to restore a computer to absolutely clean and clear perfection .. at zero cost
    .. just save some of your important things, then erase all .. erase entire hard driveand do a complete system restore .. using either the recovery discs or download new system from Apple or your preferred brand.
    restore like new, out of the box. set up the machine from scratch .. again .. everything clean, clear, perfect .. brand new
    cost .. nothing .. fixes everythingworks every time.
    also a great time to put in the new SSD, and re-install Chrome and the inc speed of the new empty and uncluttered machine is noticeable here, any sluggishness is instantly gone ..I don’t ever have tons of stuff, not much stored on machine, photos, documents or programs .. so this method works well with very little preparation needed before erasing everything clean from HD

System restore is a lazy way of fixing a problem, you don’t fix a problem that way, you fix the problem by understanding what caused the problem, fixing it, and then preventing it from happening again.

The best way to maintain a computer is to keep things simple, and like everything else in life, you maintain things. Since I use Linux or in my case Arch linux on my main machine and Manjaro on my secondary computer. The only time I use windows is for certain things, and even then its on a hdd outside of my system and since Windows 10 is now portable like Linux is which isn’t new by the way, I can boot into it with a usb caddy and do my windows tasks on it.

Actions have consequences and consequences have prices. Cause and effect at work.

Coolthingy450
    coolthingy450
    Participant

I only system restore if I’ve have no barely time to fix the problem, or if I understand the problem but the solution to fixing the problem is past the point of return.

Actions have consequences and consequences have prices. Cause and effect at work.

WPL
    WPL
    Participant

No disagreement that it’s probably best to understand and fix the root problem, but in some instances — like the complete failure of a hard drive — system restore is appropriate. Or, like in my case when I was trying to get Linux and Windows to co-exist as dual-boot options and one or the other kept trashing the Windows MBR… it was easier to restore and try again.

I am a fan of Linux, but it’s not perfect either. I’ve seen various flavors of Linux do strange things, especially when running within a virtual machine (which I have to do for certain embedded development tasks at work). It also doesn’t always play so nicely with multi-channel external audio interfaces.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.