Stock market in this corona virus era

Topic by MrMe

MrMe

Home Forums Money Stock market in this corona virus era

This topic contains 18 replies, has 11 voices, and was last updated by Monk  Monk 6 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    +4
    MrMe
    MrMe
    Participant

Stock market is going down, dow jones , S&P 500 , TSX, name it … its all going into a recession. Maybe the virus is the cause of this downfall or maybe not. One thing is sure, stocks are going DOWN.
    This is the topic to talk about the stock market and the incoming depression.

+7
    743 roadmaster
    743 roadmaster
    Participant

I’m buying. Wish I had more cash. Not very often you are going to get the chance to buy at this level of discount.

mgtow is its own worst enemy- https://www.campusreform.org/

+4
    Bstoff
    bstoff
    Participant

i just got back in, too. I’m hoping for a bear rally for a few days, then I’m getting back out for a while.

+4
    Bstoff
    bstoff
    Participant

Stay positive, but not covid19-positive

+7
    Awakened
    Awakened
    Participant

I still think that it has a way before it hits the bottom, but your guess is as good as mine.

It’s call market timing and it’s all just a guess and a gamble.

It’s not much different than the rest of life……

In a World of Justin Beibers Be a Johnny Cash

+3
    Swimcat
    Swimcat
    Participant

I don’t want to even look at my accounts. They’ve taken a bloodbath. I’m still buying, holding, and praying it will come back. I won’t need that money for years.

+2
    The Black Scorpion
    The Black Scorpion
    Participant

Food, lead and silver are what I am investing in now.

The greatest tragedy in life is to spend your whole life fishing only to discover that it was not fish you were after. - Henry David Thoreau

+6
    ResidentEvil7
    ResidentEvil7
    Participant

I don’t trust the stock market, because I don’t understand how it works. With Amazon putting a lot of retail stores out of business is why I won’t buy stocks even if the market is sinking like a leaky ship. I do believe the market will come roaring back when this whole viral outbreak ends, but the question is; how much further will it sink until it bottoms out?

When you play the stock market, you’re also playing Vegas: gambling.

Trump Republican For Life - Make America Great Again

+3
    Bstoff
    bstoff
    Participant

Well, so far, so good.
    Regarding getting into the market.
    I think I’ve made back what I lost over the last month.
    Had a couple of good days this week. Might get a couple more before it dips again.
    I am hoping to stay in until the end of the month if it doesn’t get too hairy.

+1
    Gravel Pit
    Gravel Pit
    Participant

Crude Oil trading below five dollars a barrel today… what do you think about that sh!t …. incredible. cant believe my eyes

man up means man down

+2
    SolidusX
    SolidusX
    Participant

I do day trading and long term investing on the markets for years now and this downturn is just another one in the cycle. If you look back the past 50 years we were very overdue for a downturn or bear market as it’s called. Now if you are smart this is a very very good time to buy as everything is uber cheap and will stay cheap for at least another 6 to 12 months. Yes I did lose a bunch of money when things tanked but I never sold a thing as my portfolio all pays me dividends from all my stocks, yes some companies froze or lowered their dividends but I am still retaining their value. I do live in Canada where our markets are way more stable than American as well as my investments are in things like residential real estate companies and finance companies (people always need a place to stay and money to pay for it).

People are fearful of the stock market which does not make sense to me, I would be fearful of getting into crypto which is a wild west of unregulated finance or hoarding gold and silver which does not actually give you any cash flow (which is king). You see the markets tanking right now because most investors are fearful of what is going to happen with COVID, short of an entire world collapse or ww3 nuclear winter the stock market is going to be around a very long time with its dips. I am personally putting in as much cash as possible in long term quality stocks that pay me monthly money that is tax free as because this is a once in at least a decade chance to get things ultra cheap right now.

Knowledge is power..... Don't waste your brain on bullshit

Gravel Pit
    Gravel Pit
    Participant

Im not sure what youre talking about, its September bro. Your post would have made sense in March.

Since March the stock market has made a giant Vee shape recovery because Trump’s Administration and the Federal Reserve System printed TRILLIONS of dollars to bolster their own stocks and grant scrap money to airlines etc… (they threw some scrap change to the American worker and their business as a distraction).

So basically, the DOW 30 is a giant LIE, which had a 40% freefall in less than a week back in the Spring. Now it does what crypto does, bounces around ruining longs and shorts, propped up by fake money printed out of thin air. And you dare bash Crypto and GOLD?

LMAO…. You are in for a RUDE FVCKING awakening this winter, and all of 2021, as stocks and everything begin a real BEAR market. This is not recoverable. It will happen, and when it goes down, its staying down for YEARS. Its a house of cards and it will bankrupt people’s 401Ks and send us into a New Great Depression.

man up means man down

+2
    Gravel Pit
    Gravel Pit
    Participant

Hundreds of square miles of vacant industrial office space, abandoned industrial parks. Overgrown weeds and grass on tilted sidewalks.

Hundreds of square miles of black ghettos that resemble parts of Africa, but its in every Metro area. Look at graphs of Metro development, where whites just continue to leave the City.

25 year old girls renting $2,200 apartments in highrises, where they max out credit cards on Amazon packages. They have $40,000 SUVs, unpaid for, sitting in the parking garage. They dial out for everything, from Chad kock off Tender, to pizza, groceries, Amazon etc…

All while 1000s of illegals flood the border daily, drop anchor babies that flood our publicly funded schools. And that was 25 years ago. Those kids are now fully grown and elected to public office, furthering infiltrating the Union.

Not much is certain, but the idea that printing trillions, and continuing this sort of decay for decades… its unsustainable. Disney, Tesla, Apple, Micrsoft, etc…. is all useless sh!t people dont need. The Welfare state is busting at the seams while millions of BOOMERS are retiring from the workforce and withdrawing from the markets. Their money and their industries are leaving forever.

We live in a world where the TV has lawyer adverts calling for molested victims to bangwagon sue the Boy Scouts of America. We live in a world where elected officials are literally defunding the police.

If you think the market is going to offer you gains this decade, you are a fool. Dividends? LOL Sound like my Dad… This is not 2005 dude.

Gold and Crypto, or anything that might depreciate slower than the dollar …

Bar your windows and your business storefront or leave the City… probably gonna get worse.

man up means man down

+3
    FrankOne
    FrankOne
    Participant

Look at a chart of the Dow Jones Industrial Average over the last 50 years. Sure, there have been recessions. But if you buy index funds OR have a diverse basket of stocks you do well over the long haul. Very well.

I own some real estate but hold mostly stocks, around 25% real estate and 75% stocks. Real estate performance is okay, but stocks are stellar.

Market is unlikely to go down in 2021. Vaccine will likely be deployed in early 2021 ending the panicdemic. Even if it is not, death rate will drop as virus runs its course, absent a 1918 type mutation. Nothing is certain of course. Market has already yielded enormous returns for me this year, but I hold mostly tech stocks. I will concede indexes being dominated by tech, masks the impact of the lockdowns and decreased spending on other sectors. Low crude prices should be a signal for you to buy major oil and gas stocks and see huge returns upon recovery.

The DOW 30 years ago was at about 1/9th it’s level now. That is why saving a dollar in my twenties builds more wealth than saving a dollar now in my late 40’s because those dollars saved in my twenties are worth a high multiple. Far more than the inflation rate. Invest now but for long term. If I am wrong and market tanks again, I will use the margin ability to buy even MORE stock. We had a once in a lifetime opportunity to buy this year. In other words, buy into the dips, don’t fear them.

Gravel Pit
    Gravel Pit
    Participant

shhh, youre ruining one of my windy doomsday diatribes. 😉

LOL. Good posts

The dips you buy may become trenches, and then canyons.

When Bitcoin hit 20K, it didnt just dip back down to $3,500 that week… It took a whole year before Bitcoin Cash and Bitcoin Satoshis Vision created a internal war which resulted in another sell off… March was another one-off type buying opportunity. Gold and Bitcoin arent going back down

Alot of people would have called BULLSH!T if I had come on here a year ago and said that Oil would trade below $10 for over a week, or that the DOW would tank below 20K. Theyd say IMPOSSIBLE. But it happened! And it will happen again

This is the problem with the Boomers’ bullit proof mentality to hodling their stocks… theyve done it for decades without batting an eye much. They think the worst is over. But what happened was a big accidental reveal. The Big Reveal is that it can happen in the blink of an eye, full capitulation. If you werent kicking yourself in the ass in March for not having sold the top in November, youre lying. And it will happen again.

Yall are dancing on a frozen lake in May…

I doubt very much, that the 1930s spending habits of Americans was anything like the 1950s. If youre betting on Tech stocks, get prepped for disappointment. Tech is not essential, its a LUXURY item like new Japanese autos or Amazon’s free shipping.

A lot of boomers are gonna die penniless…. having watched their portfolio rise up and then crash and they never hit sell. They just think it will keep going up.

man up means man down

+2
    FrankOne
    FrankOne
    Participant

My Amazon stock went up 7-fold in 5 years. Can it crash? Certainly. Is it likely to drop below what I bought it at? Very unlikely. I would not be at all surprised if it dropped 15 or 20% this year, eventually the market will correct for over-valuing tech stocks. I’m no genius investor; I tend to buy and hold.

From the 1932 crash to the next recession in ’36 the DOW went up from bottom 400%. Not a bad return for 4 years. The policies we have in place today are likely to prevent the DOW from dropping to even half its current value — government will just buy up assets and is keeping interest rates low. It dropped 22% in response to panic-demic. But the long-term consequences of this are potential deflation and poor growth (like Japan). Inflation and lack of confidence in the currency and US T-Bonds as the US national debt grows ever larger, seems still to be a decade or more off to me.

Even the annual returns on my relatively safer index funds are enough to live off of with my relatively modest lifestyle — 4.25% on 700K is $29,750 in dividend income — though with paid off house and car I don’t need to spend those dividends now, so I will just reinvest that money the next couple years. I’m in it for the long game; at 49 and with rental incomes even if I retire tomorrow or lose my job, I don’t need to sell any of the stock — I can wait years until it recovers.

The equivalent to ‘tech stocks’ in the 1930’s would have been the movies in my view. About 80 million Americans went every week. It wasn’t essential. But air conditioning (first theater got it in 1925 with hundreds having it by end of 1930’s), and a story to make them forget about their woes was very attractive. Indeed Hollywood was one of the largest industries in the US. I owned a small amount of Netflix — it has boomed as Americans experience cabin fever.

By May the virus will be forgotten; the energy sector will begin recovering, as will the airline industry but it’ll be a relatively slow recovery. The probability of this is VERY high for two reasons: 1.) In Sweden, where they don’t wear masks, deaths per week are 1% of what they were at the peak. Even with the media lieing continuously, the virus is a natural phenomenon, and WILL DIE OFF, unless it mutates into a more virulent strain because herd immunity is a lot lower than thought due to high percentage of population being immune before exposure 2.) A vaccine is forthcoming in months; the virus isn’t going to kill that many more Americans, but the vaccine is far more important to restore consumer confidence than health (put another way, it might save as many lives as 50% of those lost in a severe flu season). It may be a mix of vaccines — but with so much money and so many candidate vaccines, it is inevitable.

Gravel Pit
    Gravel Pit
    Participant

Youre rich Frank. Sell it all ! LmAO

man up means man down

+1
    Gravel Pit
    Gravel Pit
    Participant

The equivalent to ‘tech stocks’ in the 1930’s would have been the movies in my view. About 80 million Americans went every week. It wasn’t essential. But air conditioning (first theater got it in 1925 with hundreds having it by end of 1930’s), and a story to make them forget about their woes was very attractive. Indeed Hollywood was one of the largest industries in the US. I owned a small amount of Netflix — it has boomed as Americans experience cabin fever.

I think people had a different mentality to ‘savings’ in the 30’s, rather than the 50’s. And its still evolving more today. Gold seemed like a boring hold for years. Now it seems like a smart hold.

My words about Boomers dont apply to you though. Youre 50… If I was in your shoes Id be doing the same thing: frugal but comfortable living, ghosting, paid off car and house, not touching financial assets, coasting through a job that pays bills…

The only thing Id be cautious of is volatility affecting my value.

My Dad has stocks and crap. Hes 67. He told me back in March, during the worst of it, that his portfolio was still 80% of what it was in the Fall. This was because he doesnt have it all in riaky crap that is subject to big shifts. He said he evaluated the risk of losing his retirement money and set aside what he knew he couldnt afford to let ride …

I dont know much about his holdings, I dont want to pry in his business. But it made me proud that he isnt a big gambler. He doesnt approve of my buying crypto, but he doesnt interfere.I think he related to my loss I had in March. He used to take dumb chances too when younger.

man up means man down

+1
    Monk
    Monk
    Participant

The one place I wouldn’t put money in is banks.

Cyprus was an experiment.

The government there announced that everyones bank account would be given a haircut – balances over a certain level were to be seized by the state. They miscalculated and there were riots, so they reduced the threshold, but it still went ahead.

Obongo watched this very closely and hinted that it would be coming to the US. The UK government said that ‘excess’ balances in the UK might be replaced by shares.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.