Why can't I let go ?

Topic by SpiderHerder

SpiderHerder

Home Forums Philosophy Why can't I let go ?

This topic contains 4 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Awakened  Awakened 1 month, 1 week ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    +3
    SpiderHerder
    SpiderHerder
    Participant

I’ve read enough texts by philosophers and Eastern Religion proponents to be aware of the fact that DESIRES CAUSE SUFFERING. It is a simple fact of conscious human experience. But even knowing this, why do I keep desiring things ? Why do I strive to accomplish certain goals ?

Epicurus said that society has a corrupting effect on people. Maybe I’m just too weak to resist its poison ?

I still see absolute simplicity as the ultimate goal in life but there seems to be this duality within that keeps me from shedding all of my earthly desires. My hobbies are constantly breeding new wishes.

I think I’m better than the majority of society about this, but this is of little comfort to a suffering being.

I also know I should get into meditation but I don’t have the discipline.

+3
    IMickey503
    iMickey503
    Participant

I don;t think hobbies are a bad thing or even things you like to do or computers. It’s what you do with them that really is the big deal.

Try Guided meditation. It works better when a person is doing it and reciting it. It really is odd how calming it is. I still don’t think its the end all be all, but it really makes you wonder about things around you. The sights and the sounds.. That is what you really become aware to. Our lives have so much noise around us.

Speaking of wanting things, I just picked up a new WiFi Access point or Repeater. Sure, I could have just gone inside to use my Chromebook there, or used the desktop, or even went upstairs, made a new Ethernet able extension so I could get a better signal outside; BUT after messing around for almost and 2 hours with a flaky Belkin AP, I just got in the car, went to 3 stores, and finally got a small Plug in repeater. Not bad for $30 bucks at Target. But I wanted it, and it’s done.

Happy that the WiFi works really well now. Good signal, and no more stupid drop outs. Time will tell how well it works when the daylight hits and the summer heat makes the temps rise to about 90F at the window that it is placed in.

POINT IS: You should buy things that give your life Zen! Things that make you happy! That’s really want counts in life. YOUR HAPPINESS! Joy is something that you should not overlook.

I do admit that I spend WAY to much time online. But I enjoy it! So F~~~ it!

The thing about sleeping on a floor? You know, odd as it is, I like it as long as the floor has a nice pad. I tried it in my Minivan a few times, and did enjoy the rumbling of the engine, and the warmth of the exhaust underneath warming my backside. I’m a total Gadget Whore, so I also had the Plug in electric blanket underneath as well.

Weird? I call it not being like every other cookie cutter person out there. You know most people are all just copies of each other. I think it was Ghost in a shell that mentioned that a copy is just a copy. Be original! Not many people are.

BTW, do you have one of those COOL Light up Licence plates on your car in Japan? Man, I so WANT one of those! They just made LED Licence plates Legal in California. Another gadget. But Like I said. do what makes you happy brother. Life is TOO damn short not to enjoy the wonders of it.

You are all alone. If you have been falsely accused of RAPE, DV, PLEASE let all men know about the people who did this. http://register-her.net/web/guest/home

+2
    SpiderHerder
    SpiderHerder
    Participant

Great post, Mickey. But no, I don’t live in Japan. I was just saying that it is normal over there. lol

I still have work to do on changing my perspective on the world.

+4
    Monk
    Monk
    Participant

All material things are temporary, and ultimately worthless.

+2
    Awakened
    Awakened
    Participant

EVERYTHING is Temporary

In a World of Justin Beibers Be a Johnny Cash

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.